A Canadian buying new tires in US - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A Canadian buying new tires in US

I live in Vancouver, Canada and just ordered 4 Yokohama Parada Spec X tires from Tire Rack. They let you ship directly to an approved installer located just across the border in Blaine and upon arrival the installer calls and makes an appointment to balance and install. What would have cost about $1700.00 in Canada will cost me about $900.00 via US. I thought it was a great feature that allowed direct shipping to a US installer!!

Interestingly, I got aobut 47,000 miles on the original tires and could probably stretch it to another several thousand but I made the choice to have good reliable and safe tires on the vehicle. No real complaints about the original tires but the Parada's were so highly rated by experienced FX owners that I made the switch. Thanks for the great info!!

2009 FX35, Umbria Twilight/Wheat, Premium, D. Touring, Nav (Mine)
2006 FX35, DG/Wheat, Premium, Handsfree, Bluetooth (Wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 PM

Re: A Canadian buying new tires in US

Thanks for the tip, that's good to know. How much to balance and install down there? I was at at Kal Tire here in town and asked about mounting some 22's (in case I ordered some rubber from the US)...first he said their fee was $50 per tire to mount, but since they are 22's, it'll be $100 per tire because it's more difficult, blah, blah, blah. I was shocked at the $400 quote for the install.

Also, word of advice - absolutely be sure to declare your tire purchase at the border. You will probably have to pay 6% duty, GST/PST, environmental tire levy but still end up being a few bucks ahead. Customs agents are well aware of Canadians buying tires in the US and have busted lots of people trying to "drive" them over undeclared!

'08 FX35 Ivory Pearl - Tech/Sport/Touring - LMS CAI - Stillen STB - 22" Symbolic XR-14 - +2 timing - H&R drop
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

The shop quoted a balance and install for all 4 tires at anywhere from a minimum of $80.00 to a max of $120.00 depending on vehicle, tire size etc. I would imagine I will be at the max. And yes, I agree, declaring at the border is the way to go but will still be several hundred dollars ahead.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Just a short and quick update. Took my car to the Tire Shop and 3/4 of an hour later I was on my way. Great job and no complaints.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page