TPMS Question - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TPMS Question

I just purchased and put on these valve stem caps - NISMO UNIVERSAL CHROME TIRE AIR VALVE STEM CAPS. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230907293131?ss ... 1497.l2649

It seems that the TPMS is working fine since, I too had concerns at first and took a highway drive with the TPMS info display on to see if the tire pressure psi changed, and it did as it normally would (since as the tires get hotter the air expands and psi increases a bit).

Is it possible that i am now getting a false reading because of them?

In addition, I did see the post above saying that "Using steel or chrome caps on wheels with TPMS is a big no-no, because the dissimilar metals (steel and aluminum) will bond themselves together over time, like a weld. Thus, they don't come apart and it ruins the TPMS sensor." Should i therefore remove them and put back on the basic black plastic caps?

is the valve stem cap a component of the TPMS? (meaning the TPMS works fine without any caps)?

2010 FX35 AWD - Slate Blue, 35% tint, Premium, Deluxe, Touring, Nav and Tech packages.
OE 20-inch Bridgestone Dueler H/P 92A tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnmax
Re: TPMS Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamB
Is it possible that i am now getting a false reading because of them?
Why would you think that?

Quote:
In addition, I did see the post above saying that "Using steel or chrome caps on wheels with TPMS is a big no-no, because the dissimilar metals (steel and aluminum) will bond themselves together over time, like a weld. Thus, they don't come apart and it ruins the TPMS sensor." Should i therefore remove them and put back on the basic black plastic caps?
Yes good idea to do so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 09:54 PM

Engineer here. Dissimilar metals should not cause any problem other than possible seizure, but that's really remote (unless you really crank them down and leave them that way for a long time). Best to either use plastic or the same metal. PM me if you want more info. Doubt seriously if you need to worry about any damage.

__________________________________________________ ____
2011 FX35, Moonlight White/Wheat, Tech, Deluxe Touring, Premium

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
I just purchased and put on these valve stem caps -SNIP- Is it possible that i am now getting a false reading because of them?
I'm an engineering technologist with a lot of experience, and I can't see how a chrome-plated valve stem cap can affect the signal from a TPMS signal. I HAVE had sensors lose their calibration...Infiniti could never give me a good reason why that might have happened, but they were more than happy to charge me to re-calibrate them. Even after calibration the air pressure readout on my MFD never matches what I read on my pressure gauge.
Quote:
I guess if you really cranked them on dry and only checked your air pressure once every five years it could be an issue. I'm in the habit of checking my air pressure regularly, and if I take the valve stem caps off I usually use a small amount of lubricant on the threads before re-installing the caps. In the thirty years or so that I have owned vehicles I have never had a valve stem cap, whether metal or plastic or whatever, seize on to a valve stem.

- Doug
'06 FX45 | Sport/Touring/Tech/NAV/DVD | Ivory Pearl/Wheat | +2 | JWT Pop-Charger |
'09 Murano LE STOCK - Glacier Pearl/Cafe Latte - DECEASED
2K10 Murano LE STOCK - Glacier Pearl/Cafe Latte
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:11 PM

Galvanic corrosion is not what you need to be concerned with. If, however, you have some big, lunky cap and crank it down on a dirty, soft aluminum valve stem (like all TPMS senders use), you're going to have trouble unscrewing it. The chances are then good that you can do damage to the TPMS sender. Simple preventative measures - don't cross-thread, keep the valve stem clean, use a plastic, aluminum or plastic lined cap, put a little lubricant on the threads and - most important - don't give it that one "extra turn" when installing the cap. You don't need to do them all, just be smart.

__________________________________________________ ____
2011 FX35, Moonlight White/Wheat, Tech, Deluxe Touring, Premium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List