Sounds like pots and pans banging!!! - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like pots and pans banging!!!

Hey gang-

This is so bizarre. In the past few weeks, my 2011 AWD FX35 has developed a sound from the back end that my wife describes as like "pots and pans banging together".

My FX is pristine with just 36,000 miles. I bought it with just 6,000 miles back in 2012. Never off-roaded. Never bottomed out. The sound occurs primarily on smooth interstate at between 65 to 70 miles per hour. Balance and alignment are perfect. There is nothing in the cargo compartment. I have checked and tightened the spare and all the tire tools are tight. I have looked underneath for a broken exhaust hanger. I have bounced the car myself in my driveway and cannot duplicate the sound. I considered that it could be a broken shock, but this car has rarely seen a bumpy road.

What am I missing here? Any ideas much appreciated!

Kupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
Hey gang-

This is so bizarre. In the past few weeks, my 2011 AWD FX35 has developed a sound from the back end that my wife describes as like "pots and pans banging together".

My FX is pristine with just 36,000 miles. I bought it with just 6,000 miles back in 2012. Never off-roaded. Never bottomed out. The sound occurs primarily on smooth interstate at between 65 to 70 miles per hour. Balance and alignment are perfect. There is nothing in the cargo compartment. I have checked and tightened the spare and all the tire tools are tight. I have looked underneath for a broken exhaust hanger. I have bounced the car myself in my driveway and cannot duplicate the sound. I considered that it could be a broken shock, but this car has rarely seen a bumpy road.

What am I missing here? Any ideas much appreciated!

Kupe
I had the exact same sound in my FX37, drove me crazy at hwy speed. Mine was a loose plastic pan in the back underneath the trunk. It was missing 3 plastic rivets that connect it to the bumper and it would flap against the exhaust and made a metallic clanging sound. Hope it helps.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtz4me View Post
I had the exact same sound in my FX37, drove me crazy at hwy speed. Mine was a loose plastic pan in the back underneath the trunk. It was missing 3 plastic rivets that connect it to the bumper and it would flap against the exhaust and made a metallic clanging sound. Hope it helps.
Wow that is a great suggestion. I'm taking my FX into the shop on Thursday and had almost convinced myself it was the loose brake caliper noise described in this thread-
https://www.infinitifx.org/12-1st-ge...ar-rattle.html

But I will have them check this out first- sounds much easier to fix.

Kupe

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtz4me View Post
Okay brutha- I owe you beers!

I re-read your post, then got back under the car under the rear bumper. I had been under there earlier and feeling for loose heat shields, exhaust hangers, etc. But this time I looked for anything plastic with three holes. And there it was! It's actually the very bottom of the rear bumper. With three holes where fasteners had clearly once been, but were now gone. As my car has never been hit, they must have just fallen apart with age and vibration.

So, just now I put a 1/4-20 pan head screw with lock washers in the middle hole, and it's fixed!! Noise is gone!

I was thinking I would just put in two more of the same and call it done, but then it occurred to me. Infiniti probably used the plastic fasteners (rather than metal screws) so that they would shear away in a fender-bender. So now wondering if it is worth trying to find the same plastic fasteners.

Any idea what they are called? Or better yet, Infiniti part numbers!

Thanks again- amazing!!

Kupe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page