FX50s - front passenger door - wooden trim malfunction - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FX50s - front passenger door - wooden trim malfunction

hi guys,

I got in the car yesterday and this is what I saw.

My dealer wasn't too surprised, in fact, they've replaced quite a few of these parts recently in 2009 FXs.
Infiniti has been made aware of this problem and they are rectifying this as we speak but in my case, I've no choice to live with it...
Glue that was supposed to hold the wooden trim in place has been poorly chosen, it can't take the blistering UAE heat.
I am supposed to get this fixed under the warranty but I have to wait between 1 to 2 months for the part to arrive directly from Japan.

This sucks, very disappointing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WOODEN TRIM - GLUE FAILURE.JPG (85.3 KB, 161 views)

2009 FX50S - Black Obsidian / Java leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:21 PM

Re: FX50s - front passenger door - wooden trim malfunction

Is that some type of wood under the shine layer?

2005 FX35 AWD - Beryllium/Graphite - Tech / Tour / Sirius SAT / Stillen STB (1st mod!) / Sport Pedals / OEM Chrome 18" rims / Clear tails / StopTech SS Lines /+2 / Menzerna FPII-FMJ-HGAS
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoody
Is that some type of wood under the shine layer?
not sure as it is covered in layer of glue but it appears to be more like some kind of plastic composite rathen than wood if you ask me.
Either way, it's a sad sight for 7 months old car that costs as much as a small studio.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnmax

Thats not Infiniti's fault. You have some kind of aftermarket stick on wood kit there it appears. Most of those kits will not stick right if they are not prepped correctly. Especially in extreme heat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmax
Thats not Infiniti's fault. You have some kind of aftermarket stick on wood kit there it appears. Most of those kits will not stick right if they are not prepped correctly. Especially in extreme heat.
the part is genuine. Infiniti Japan is well aware of this problem and have fixed it with an updated part which is resistant to high temperatures. I just got a call from Infiniti 10 minutes ago, they are replacing it for me today.
I'm hoping it's going to look like the rest of the trimming...

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium
Quote:
the part is genuine. Infiniti Japan is well aware of this problem and have fixed it with an updated part which is resistant to high temperatures. I just got a call from Infiniti 10 minutes ago, they are replacing it for me today.
I'm hoping it's going to look like the rest of the trimming...

I live in a hot climate here in south fla not as hot as yours. So far to date Idon't have any problems with the wood trim. As to whether it is plastic or wood it's real maple with a laquer finissh on it. Tha should be the worse thing to happen to our FX's hopefully.

2009 FX 50 330rwhp/300tqMoonlight White/Wheat Interior
Old FX 45 oil burner
03 350z 400+ rwhp
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 03:46 PM

I think nobody on this forum lives in a hotter climate than I do, and therefore I am glad to say that my cars wood trim isnt falling apart.....KNOCK ON WOOD

09 FX50S > without the goodies that you get in the States
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Man... that's TERRIBLE! So that wood... is it real wood? It looks kinda like fake wood that they used...

Quote:
Thats not Infiniti's fault. You have some kind of aftermarket stick on wood kit there it appears.
And John... in the 50S they have wood trim on the center console and doors with the black lacquer on the CD area...

2007 FX35 AWD Touring - GARMIN GVN-53 NAV mod, NAV-TV iPod music and video, PARROT MK6100, VIPER 5901 w/ SMARTSTART & GPS Tracking, Strong Strut STB, MD 5/16" Copper Iso Thermal, LMS intake w/ 3" K&N Cone, BC RACING Coilovers, GT SPEC Ladder Brace, STOPTECH SS Lines, 20" AVARUS AV1 w/ BFG KDW/2's, HAWK HPS Street Pads, 6K HIDs and 5K Fogs, LED lighting everywhere, Sport Pedals with ebrake, Escutcheon...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnmax

It kinda looked like a stick on kit to me. Especially since it appears to be the oem wood below it and its nice and flush.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:21 PM

I saw the same thing on an 08 M45,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page