Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums - View Single Post - Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help!
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Chedman13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnoah
I was just told that my 2003 FX35 AWD which has 110K miles on it needs a new Rear Suspension Member - which is roughly a $700 part that requires $1,400 of labor to replace. Apparently the bushing, which is filled with fluid, is leaking and they advise that the whole assembly needs to be changed. Great egineering on Infiniti's part.

If I don't fix it soon they say that a bunch of other things could get damaged.

Has anyone come across this? Is it true that the bushing can not be fixed?

I have a crazy idea - which is really crazy as I have not viewed the damaged part - and I am wondering if anyone thinks that it will work or if anyone else has a quick inexpensive suggestion. I would attempt to completely replace it myself except I do not have access to a lift.

My Micky-Mouse solution is to drill two (or more) holes in the bushing - one in the 12 o'clock position and one in the 6 o'clock position and then blow all of the fluid out with an air compressor and then fill the bushing with some sort of rubbery composite or silicone that would dry firmly.

Any thoughts on (a) if this would/could work and (b) what material I could use to fill it with.

If it doesn't work I would simply be in the same boat that I am in now - being in need of replacing the thing...
That sucks. Is this even a possible scenario? I'm no mechanic so I don't know.

I have similar mileage and have no issues, except the fact that I was going to overhaul and replace all the old suspension parts that need replacing, such as rubber boots, shocks, and possibly even hub bearings. Isn't the bushing just a rubber piece you can replace?

I would take it into your local mechanic and have him inspect your rear suspension, not telling him what the dealership said.

Given past experience with dealerships, they could be just selling you since you are a high mileage car and might be seen as an easy target. A family member is a master mechanic for a major car company and he tells me stuff like this goes on all the time, especially with mechanical fixes that are hard to see for the customer or too "complicated" to understand.

03 Infiniti FX45 | DG/Graphite | Tech | DVD | cargo organizer | H&R | Custom Grill | Moda 22"x9.5" | Goodyear 265/40/22 | Tints | Akebono | Momo | Winter Mats | Black Rails | Tow Package | LED int/ext lights | LED Mirrors | Nismo Radiator Cap | STB | HID Fogs | JEGS Air Oil Separator | HKS Exhaust | Y Pipe | Hankook I*Pike RW11 265/50/20 | Front/Rear GTSpec Braces | AP Racing 6/4

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome