Infiniti FX Forum banner

Clicking noise under acceleration

24K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  ras 
#1 ·
HI, has anyone ever heard a clicking or rattling noise under slight to mild acceleration from the engine bay? I have a FX35 and I never heard this sound before until the last few months and its starting to bother me.

I've searched threads here and came to the conclusion it can be the following:

- Lose bolt
- Fuel dampener although sound should be when in drive but not driving or in idle
- Belts

I'm going to check all these things and see if I find anything, but in the meantime if anyone can help me out that would be much appreciated!!

#3 ·
Are you sure it's from the engine bay? Might be the dry axle click, I had mine fixed in the last couple months.

#4 ·
hrmm...loose heat shield...i was under the car yesterday and noticed that the heatshield on the cat rusted enough for half of it to be loose, gonna get a strap and tighten it up.

dry axle click? is there a TSB on that? How can you test for a dry axle click? what should I look for?

THanks for the input guys, helps me out big time!

#5 ·
Yes, there's a TSB, listed for G35 though. You can't test, you just hear a clicking under acceleration, or down shifting into high RPM's. Did you search for it? I know there's a thread...

#6 ·
Well its not the heat shield, I strapped them down with stainless steel rings.

What's funny is that the clicking is not always there, only if i keep it in a low gear and push the throttle just enough before it tries to downshift, its like a rattle type click and i'm wondering can that be valves? If I down shift it only happens if I apply gas.

I'm going to try and find it but if anyone has the link that would be great. I'm sure there's alot of G35 TSB's.

#8 ·
It only happens when there's tension between the engine and transmission, like when the engine is trying to push on a gear it can't accelerate as fast as I want, but when the revs are high without tension, there's no noise.

Its driving me nuts because its an on and off sound. I'm wondering if there's some loose bolt and the washer is rattling or a rock stuck in somewhere....its more noticeable when its hot outside though...thinning of the oil? causing valves to click more?

#9 ·
StuLax18 said:
Does it also happen when you downshit and the rev's climb up?
http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drivetra ... -axle.html

Watched the video, actually had to find it on youtube because the one you sent me was taken off by the user...anyhow, the clicking on the video happens once each time it goes back or forward. Mine happens with the revs of the engine under tension only. Either i'm going crazy and this was always there or its a new sound...lol

#10 ·
What do mean by tension? Tension is usually a force applied to a string.

#11 ·
sure it's not pinging? are you running premium? if not then run a tank of premium/ultra higher octane fuel to see if that makes any difference...

#12 ·
Basically its when i push the gas pedal to the point where the engine is trying really hard to meet my demand in like 5th gear going 40mph lets say...just before it shifts to 4th gear.

nah, i can't see it being ping...unless the guys did the +2 mod to my car at the shop without telling me....but i always use premium or 94 octane with the same results

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.