Door Handle Fell Off!!! - Page 3 - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Door Handle Fell Off!!!

Thank you GixxerSteve for the clarification confirming that you also had two handles that broke in the same manner. The truth is, my local dealer could have reduced some of his profit and given me a break on parts and labor and I would be a happy camper. If I wasn't paying for my son's pricey education, I would have already purchased a new FX35. I better stock up and buy some back stock of chrome-plated plastic handles, because I still have two more original handles that are sure to break in the near future. Too bad I can't turn the clock back to the 80's I prefer the metal handles even if they do make the car weigh significantly more (give me a break, John, how much weight can 4 plastic handles save versus 4 metal handles).

Anybody have issues with the struts on the hatchback trunk, these never worked properly from day one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKallman
I had been taking my car to the local dealer for service long after it was out of warranty.
Don't take this personally but there's a sucker born every day... you're bringing your car to the dealer AFTER you're out of warranty?!?!

I won't bring my car near the dealer and it's well within warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKallman
(give me a break, John, how much weight can 4 plastic handles save versus 4 metal handles)
Because then they are adding back in metal bumpers, mdf backing for the seats, metal hoods, cast blocks vs aluminum, etc, etc, etc and you have a 8,500lb FX that makes 265 (or whatever) HP and takes 3 months to accelerate to 60. You start with the 4 metal handles that add maybe a pound each and then you open the door for other heavier parts. Where does it end?

douchebag extraordinaire
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranlavin
Because then they are adding back in metal bumpers, mdf backing for the seats, metal hoods, cast blocks vs aluminum, etc, etc, etc and you have a 8,500lb FX that makes 265 (or whatever) HP and takes 3 months to accelerate to 60. You start with the 4 metal handles that add maybe a pound each and then you open the door for other heavier parts. Where does it end?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 Q45 -- SOLD 2003
2003 FX45, BBS RSGT, ACHILLES Desert Hawk UHP 265/50-20 -- SOLD 2011
2009 Mercedes ML550

post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:50 PM

No offense taken, my dealer was pro-active with regard to retaining customers. I frequently get discount coupons for basic maintenance such as oil changes, filters, etc. which are always priced competitively. I realize that they are well trained to entice you to add-on additional service while they have your car. However, I'm seeing this at most of the shops that service cars today. No doubt, I've had to take the car elsewhere for tire balance, alignments, rotations, brakes, and other more labor intensive up keep. I have never forgotten the excellent service I received from my local Jeep dealer, long after the warranty was up. This smart business decision brought them repeat business, as I purchased another personal vehicle and one vehicle for my business. I might be idealistic, but a well-run service department can buy loyalty and repeat business!
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 06:29 PM

Don't listen to those comments. I also have been taking mine to the dealer. Always get a 10-15% off the regular labor/part prices (not that I have had to do anything unreasonable to the FX - maintenance work) and also always get a loaner car, even for small jobs. I think the convenience is worth the extra $, considering that most mechanics are crooks out there, anyway (in my opinion). The dealer always "recommends" stuff to be done. I just do not do them... I listen to fellow FXers here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 Q45 -- SOLD 2003
2009 Mercedes ML550
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic
The dealer always "recommends" stuff to be done. I just do not do them... I listen to fellow FXers here.
Several years ago, my Infiniti dealer recommended I replace my brakes because they were worn down and the rotors gouged. This was three weeks after I installed brand new rotors and pads.

'10 QX56 - Current. $63k MSRP and no compass...?
'06 FX45 - Former
'05 FX35 - Former
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm not an automotive engineer, but my big breng is telling me that door handles are plastic, not metal, because grabbing a metal door handle in 120 degree weather is unfun. Same goes for 10 below.

'03 '45 - no rails, red tails, Paradas
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:26 PM

Bah, touching door handles yourself is overrated. I have Jeeves open the door *FOR* me!

douchebag extraordinaire
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBenn85
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic
The dealer always "recommends" stuff to be done. I just do not do them... I listen to fellow FXers here.
Several years ago, my Infiniti dealer recommended I replace my brakes because they were worn down and the rotors gouged. This was three weeks after I installed brand new rotors and pads.
Sounds like a dealer! Mine told me that my in-cabin microfilter needs to be replaced, it was dirty. My FX does not have one...
Like I said... in my opinion, and only in my opinion, most car mechanics are crooks.

1991 Q45 -- SOLD 2003
2009 Mercedes ML550
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 PM

They also at one time tried telling me I was about due for tires. The tires on the vehicle were 6 months old.

I agree, most mechanics are crooks. But ****, I do not trust anything anyone says, regardless of what they do for a living.

'10 QX56 - Current. $63k MSRP and no compass...?
'06 FX45 - Former
'05 FX35 - Former

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page