Power Door Lock Switch Malfunction, 2008 FX35 - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power Door Lock Switch Malfunction, 2008 FX35

A few days ago I was washing my car (2008 FX35) and I noticed a strange clicking kind of noise coming from my car about every 45 seconds or so. I thought it sounded kind of like the power door locks. The noise finally stopped. A day later I noticed the door lock switch on both front doors will lock the doors, but will "NOT" un-lock them. Also I noticed several months ago the switch on the driver door was a little sticky, like when I pressed the switch in either direction it would hang there and I had to press it in the opposite direction to get it un-stuck. I'm thinking maybe I accidentally hit the door lock switch, it got stuck and I didn't realize and it caused damage somewhere. If it were a bad fuse I would think the switch wouldn't work at all. Anyone got any knowledge or bright ideas about this ? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Get a contact cleaner that is safe for plastics and doesn't leave residue... Likely culprit is you spilled some soda on the switch and it dried and the sugar is making the switch sticky...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 FX35 AWD Touring - GARMIN GVN-53 NAV mod, NAV-TV iPod music and video, PARROT MK6100, VIPER 5901 w/ SMARTSTART & GPS Tracking, Strong Strut STB, MD 5/16" Copper Iso Thermal, LMS intake w/ 3" K&N Cone, BC RACING Coilovers, GT SPEC Ladder Brace, STOPTECH SS Lines, 20" AVARUS AV1 w/ BFG KDW/2's, HAWK HPS Street Pads, 6K HIDs and 5K Fogs, LED lighting everywhere, Sport Pedals with ebrake, Escutcheon...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 02:09 PM

did any water get inside? even a tiny amount of droplets can seep inside electrical components from inside.
I had a problem where i left the sunroof open and it rained and water got sprayed all inside of the dash and on ignition switch on my 07 fx35
car ignition key would not turn as there was water inside and there was a "short" somewhere and it could not detect the fob
I used hair dryer and it fixed the job
there might be a short somewhere try to keep the car in dry area and use a hair dryer on affected area and see what happens
let me know if that is the cause
thanks

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

First of all, I bought this vehicle used, about 8 months ago. Everything worked as it was supposed to. I noticed shortly after I bought the car the door lock switches were a little sticky. I've always been careful to make sure they were in the in neutral position. I have not spilled anything in the switches. Someone in the past may have. I did spray a minute amount of contact cleaner in the switches after they started malfunctioning with no results so far. As stated in my original post, this started one day last week while I was washing my car. Previous to washing my car, I had just finished checking the transmission fluid. I had the smart key in my pocket. I'm wondering is somehow the door lock button got pressed without me knowing. As I said, I kept hearing a clicking noise about every 45 seconds or so. So ..... I'm wondering if the door lock got stuck in the "UN-LOCK" position and caused a solenoid or actuator to burn out. Now I hear no noise at all when pressing the door lock switch to the "UN-LOCK" position like I normally should. Again, both front door lock switches are acting the same way. They will lock the doors, but will not unlock them. Thanks for any and all help/advice.

Last edited by porkchop; 10-16-2017 at 05:18 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like your actuators might be acting up...

Search the site for "actuator" and you'll learn a bunch...

Here's one thread:

https://www.infinitifx.org/56-1st-gen...-actuator.html

You can try cleaning them, or replacing them with aftermarket actuators... OEM aren't worth the price really...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 FX35 AWD Touring - GARMIN GVN-53 NAV mod, NAV-TV iPod music and video, PARROT MK6100, VIPER 5901 w/ SMARTSTART & GPS Tracking, Strong Strut STB, MD 5/16" Copper Iso Thermal, LMS intake w/ 3" K&N Cone, BC RACING Coilovers, GT SPEC Ladder Brace, STOPTECH SS Lines, 20" AVARUS AV1 w/ BFG KDW/2's, HAWK HPS Street Pads, 6K HIDs and 5K Fogs, LED lighting everywhere, Sport Pedals with ebrake, Escutcheon...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've owned my FX35 since new (First Gen, 2005); I've had to have all lock actuators replaced. Driver's door at 88,006 miles ($561.90); Lift gate at 101,070 miles ($620.90)l Front passenger, Both Rear door lock actuators at 103,778 miles ($1,776.65). sure wish I'd been on this Forum when these issues occurred, as I would have tried to replace myself since the cost of labor/parts were atrocious.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Fuse

Since the owner's manual has no diagram of the fuse box and I don't have a service manual yet, is there by chance that there's two fuses for the door lock switch ? As mentioned previously, the switch will "lock" but will not "un-lock" the doors, and I hear no sound when pressing the un-lock switch. This is happening in both doors and they both messed up at the same time. Thanks for a reply.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention, my car has the smart key. All the door locks work with the button on the smart key as well as the push buttons on the door handles. That leads me to believe the problem is in the master switch on the driver door. Apparently all the actuators are working properly. I have another car that the master switch went bad on which caused the passenger door lock switch to no work as well. I assume the Infinity operates the same way. Any thought on this ? Thanks.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Nobody knows for sure, but it seems when one actuator starts going, it affects the others... If you can fix the bad one, they all seem to work again (even if all were acting weird before)... In most cases, it would be the driver's side door actuator, as that one usually gets more use than the others, so it is the most likely to go bad first... But this isn't always the case...

I would still say you're having actuator issues... I've heard of similar things before that were finally fixed after "fixing" or replacing 1 or more actuators...

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Oh... And it's not a fuse... If a fuse had blown in connection with the actuator, you'd be getting ZERO from them (no opening OR closing)... It's like if your headlight fuse blows... You can't turn them on but not off... They're just dead till you replace the fuse...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page