new member with suspension question - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
new member with suspension question

I'm looking at a 2003 FX 35 and love the car but the ride is just too harsh form my fused and beat up spine. This car has 20" wheels and I assume a sport package. Does the non sport susepnion with 18 wheels ride a lot better? Can I swap the springs shocks etc and wheels for a non sport? Anyone install coilovers? Any changes to the suspension from 2003 to 2008?
Really love the car and if I could calm the ride down a bit It would be perfect

Thank you for any wisdom and or advise and great forum BTW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 04:51 PM

Re: new member with suspension question

I have an 05 20" but the ride was so harsh for even a young back healthy spine

so first I got me new shocks

From a rough nasty terrible ride to Harsh the ride went!!

from there about two month later i got gtspec strut bar and boy that felt different on hadling and turning
and even on a regular road and slight bumps....
but the ride still was harsh..

I got me a h&r lowering spring about a month ago
my ride went from harsh to good......!!!! shoulda be the first suspension mod....
of course it not like air ride or that of lexus or anything but
I love driving my car!!! cuz the ride has gotten 200% more comfy

and if you really want? get 18" then it would also be slightly better but trust me
get new springs first and feel the difference
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:22 AM

I have a 2003 and I was wondering if I only need to change the h&r springs to soften the ride. If I get a new set of oem shocks & struts can I still use the h&r springs?

2003 Black Infiniti fx 35, Built in chick magnet, Non-Tech, 20" chrome wheels, Clear Tails, RWD...........future mods: Navigation System
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
drive FX

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_FX35
I have a 2003 and I was wondering if I only need to change the h&r springs to soften the ride. If I get a new set of oem shocks & struts can I still use the h&r springs?
Yes... the springs are completely independent from the shocks and struts... and why not go with KYB replacements? Same as OEM but usually a bit cheaper...

To the OP... I have coilovers on my FX... I have it set on #8 which is VERY harsh... BUT it's still way better than the OEM suspension... hard to explain why but definitely not as harsh... It has settings from 1 all the way to 32, 32 being the softest which I've heard is VERY comfortable but I refuse to give up that much handling... However, I've been considering dialing down my coilovers to #12 soon... too much summer construction...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 FX35 AWD Touring - GARMIN GVN-53 NAV mod, NAV-TV iPod music and video, PARROT MK6100, VIPER 5901 w/ SMARTSTART & GPS Tracking, Strong Strut STB, MD 5/16" Copper Iso Thermal, LMS intake w/ 3" K&N Cone, BC RACING Coilovers, GT SPEC Ladder Brace, STOPTECH SS Lines, 20" AVARUS AV1 w/ BFG KDW/2's, HAWK HPS Street Pads, 6K HIDs and 5K Fogs, LED lighting everywhere, Sport Pedals with ebrake, Escutcheon...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:01 PM

Another large factor in ride comfort was moving away from the OEM Goodyear RSA's. They were horrible horrible horrible for me.

Current - '08 FX45 Ivory Pearl/Wheat, Tech
Previous - '06 FX35 Ivory Pearl/Wheat, Tech, Touring, Sport, Handsfree

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:39 AM

What a about the Megan coilovers, I saw a couple of sets on eBay. Are those a perfect fit? or do I need to get a set of springs as well, strut bushings, etc. Thanks

2003 Black Infiniti fx 35, Built in chick magnet, Non-Tech, 20" chrome wheels, Clear Tails, RWD...........future mods: Navigation System
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
drive FX
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Coilovers are full sets... you don't need anything else... however, I'm not super happy with the quality of my MEGAN's... If I could do it again, I'd either go wit BC coilovers or woulda gotten in on the KIDO coilover group buy...

2007 FX35 AWD Touring - GARMIN GVN-53 NAV mod, NAV-TV iPod music and video, PARROT MK6100, VIPER 5901 w/ SMARTSTART & GPS Tracking, Strong Strut STB, MD 5/16" Copper Iso Thermal, LMS intake w/ 3" K&N Cone, BC RACING Coilovers, GT SPEC Ladder Brace, STOPTECH SS Lines, 20" AVARUS AV1 w/ BFG KDW/2's, HAWK HPS Street Pads, 6K HIDs and 5K Fogs, LED lighting everywhere, Sport Pedals with ebrake, Escutcheon...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 09:30 PM

Thanks Datman, looks like I Have to go with KYB, I just replaced my valve covers 2 months ago and I can't afford another $700 + install on the coil overs. I just want to know if it is recommended to replace the strut bearings as well once you install a new set of shocks and struts(KYB/OEM). I got my FX with 50K miles and now has 120K and I have no idea if this replacement will take the harshness away. I hope this helps the OP as well.

drive FX
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_FX35
I just want to know if it is recommended to replace the strut bearings as well once you install a new set of shocks and struts(KYB/OEM).
Apparently yes... in most cases I've heard the old strut bearings are hard to use again and not worth trying... Pricing on them should be relatively cheap as well...

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:01 AM

I can tell you Firestone tires over Goodyears made my ride 50% better, but I lost 35% formula one style driving ability. How much you gona pay for one a them 2003's?

2003 Diamond Graphite FX45 23k miles, Firestone tires, original everything. A collectible!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page