Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums (https://www.infinitifx.org/forum.php)
-   1st Gen (2003-2008) (https://www.infinitifx.org/12-1st-gen-2003-2008/)
-   -   Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help! (https://www.infinitifx.org/12-1st-gen-2003-2008/18689-bad-rear-suspension-member-2003-fx-awd-help.html)

davidnoah 04-10-2010 10:59 PM

Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help!
 
I was just told that my 2003 FX35 AWD which has 110K miles on it needs a new Rear Suspension Member - which is roughly a $700 part that requires $1,400 of labor to replace. Apparently the bushing, which is filled with fluid, is leaking and they advise that the whole assembly needs to be changed. Great egineering on Infiniti's part.

If I don't fix it soon they say that a bunch of other things could get damaged.

Has anyone come across this? Is it true that the bushing can not be fixed?

I have a crazy idea - which is really crazy as I have not viewed the damaged part - and I am wondering if anyone thinks that it will work or if anyone else has a quick inexpensive suggestion. I would attempt to completely replace it myself except I do not have access to a lift.

My Micky-Mouse solution is to drill two (or more) holes in the bushing - one in the 12 o'clock position and one in the 6 o'clock position and then blow all of the fluid out with an air compressor and then fill the bushing with some sort of rubbery composite or silicone that would dry firmly.

Any thoughts on (a) if this would/could work and (b) what material I could use to fill it with.

If it doesn't work I would simply be in the same boat that I am in now - being in need of replacing the thing...

GixxerSteve 04-11-2010 06:03 AM

Re: Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help!
 
Oddly enough, I just took my wife's 2003 350Z to the Nissan dealer for an oil change, and during the free multi-point inspection, they told me her rear bushings had gone bad too. Except they said it was $750 total to replace them. I passed. He said that it could make the tirewear uneven. Car drives fine to me. :o

Chedman13 04-11-2010 11:28 AM

Re: Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidnoah
I was just told that my 2003 FX35 AWD which has 110K miles on it needs a new Rear Suspension Member - which is roughly a $700 part that requires $1,400 of labor to replace. Apparently the bushing, which is filled with fluid, is leaking and they advise that the whole assembly needs to be changed. Great egineering on Infiniti's part.

If I don't fix it soon they say that a bunch of other things could get damaged.

Has anyone come across this? Is it true that the bushing can not be fixed?

I have a crazy idea - which is really crazy as I have not viewed the damaged part - and I am wondering if anyone thinks that it will work or if anyone else has a quick inexpensive suggestion. I would attempt to completely replace it myself except I do not have access to a lift.

My Micky-Mouse solution is to drill two (or more) holes in the bushing - one in the 12 o'clock position and one in the 6 o'clock position and then blow all of the fluid out with an air compressor and then fill the bushing with some sort of rubbery composite or silicone that would dry firmly.

Any thoughts on (a) if this would/could work and (b) what material I could use to fill it with.

If it doesn't work I would simply be in the same boat that I am in now - being in need of replacing the thing...

That sucks. Is this even a possible scenario? I'm no mechanic so I don't know.

I have similar mileage and have no issues, except the fact that I was going to overhaul and replace all the old suspension parts that need replacing, such as rubber boots, shocks, and possibly even hub bearings. Isn't the bushing just a rubber piece you can replace?

I would take it into your local mechanic and have him inspect your rear suspension, not telling him what the dealership said.

Given past experience with dealerships, they could be just selling you since you are a high mileage car and might be seen as an easy target. A family member is a master mechanic for a major car company and he tells me stuff like this goes on all the time, especially with mechanical fixes that are hard to see for the customer or too "complicated" to understand.

davidnoah 04-14-2010 02:09 AM

Re: Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help!
 
I have since had my other mechanic look at it and have also talked to the infiniti dealer again - who now has lowered their price to $1650 after i pushed them a little.


They both suggested that I wait until I notice that the bushing is bad... problem delayed...

Chedman13 04-14-2010 10:47 AM

Re: Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidnoah
I have since had my other mechanic look at it and have also talked to the infiniti dealer again - who now has lowered their price to $1650 after i pushed them a little.


They both suggested that I wait until I notice that the bushing is bad... problem delayed...

What part are you exactly talking about? The bushing is #13, which cost $4.06 at infinitipartsusa.com
http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/sche...al/F625110.gif

1) SHOCK ABSORBER 2) BUMPER 3) SHOCK MOUNT
4) COIL SPRING 5) SPRING SEAT 6) KNUCKLE
7) HUB ASSY 8) LATERAL ARM 9) RADIUS ARM
10) UPPER CONTROL ARM 11) LOWER CONTROL ARM 12) STABILIZER BAR
13) BUSHINGS 14) BRACKET 15) LINK
16) CROSSMEMBER

I'm a little lost in what is leaking and what is being destroyed due to the leaking. I'm just trying to help you out here.

turbocad6 04-14-2010 06:04 PM

Re: Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help!
 
#13 is a sway bar bushing, the bushing he's talking about is a liquid filled subframe mount, just like our engine mounts & it's part of the subframe assy #16... don't think it's serviced seperately... not changing it shouldn't damage anything else really, just maybe feel a bit of vibration or maybe even a knocking sound under certain manuvers really...

Chedman13 04-14-2010 06:10 PM

Re: Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by turbocad6
#13 is a sway bar bushing, the bushing he's talking about is a liquid filled subframe mount, just like our engine mounts & it's part of the subframe assy #16... don't think it's serviced seperately... not changing it shouldn't damage anything else really, just maybe feel a bit of vibration or maybe even a knocking sound under certain manuvers really...

#16 is around a $550 part. If you do it from the dealership, order it then see how fast that quote goes down just from the part cost.

Get the quote in paper first so they don't jack up your labor costs to compensate for the lost revenue in parts.

Thanks John for clarifying... I was freaking out myself if this is something I would need to do to rehaul my old suspension parts. Doesn't look like it in my case.

turbocad6 04-14-2010 06:25 PM

Re: Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help!
 
668 list price on the part, 5.2 hours labor to replace it after the exhaust is removed, so even at the craziest labor rates it shouldn't cost more than 6-700 labor, I'd think an average mechanic would charge ~$500 or less to install it really...

davidnoah 04-14-2010 06:56 PM

Re: Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help!
 
You are right it is the crossmember (#16) that needs to be replaced... the damaged part on mine is the liquid filled bushing that is located in the middle of the crossmember - thankfully not the 4 bushings that hold the crossmember to the car. If you drew a line from the end of the arrow below #16 to the right the same length as that arrow and then down the same distance you will see the bushing on the diagram. The differential mounts to the crossmember at that spot. The bushing is not servicable and the whole crossmember would need to be changed.

If there is someone out there that is enterprising who could develop a bolt on bushing they probably would be able to sell quite a few of them as it sounds like this part fails fairly often... If the part was $250 and required an hour to install it would be a no-brainer! In looking at the failed part from under the car it looks like it would be easy to create a bolt on application that could simply bolt on to the rear of the crossmember with a bushing attached to it with a rod attached to the center of the bushing which could slide into the center of the differential mounting rod (which is hollow).

If any of the machine shops are interested in discussing please let me know...

turbocad6 04-14-2010 07:43 PM

Re: Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help!
 
ok, there are also seperate bushings for the dif mount at the front of the diff, left & right... those insulators are ~49 each list, but yeah, the rear one is not a seperate piece it seems, probably pressed in to the crossmember really. would not be easy but I'm sure something could be done, only problem is you'd be looking at removing the cross member anyway, & then trying to press the old one out, which would probably prove to be very difficult now that the whole subframe is already welded togeather... not impossible to come up with another solution but probably not so practical either really...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome