Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help! - Page 3 - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Bad Rear Suspension Member - 2003 FX AWD - Help!

Chedman13
I am new to FX ownership and to the site. Where did you get this parts diagram? Is there an online source?

I just lapped up a couple drops of black oil from under the rear of our '04 FX35. Sounds like it may be this issue.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 PM

Did you ever have your 'k' member replaced or find an alternate solution? I am going on a year of driving around with this bad bushing and to be honest, it is starting to get annoying. I had it checked out again last month to see if it was causing any abnormal wear on the rest of the suspension system, and was told it hasn't, which was good news. The only thing holding me back is the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnoah
I still thing that there has to be an easier solution than to pull the whole thing out...

If anyone has done anywork under these and/or poked around while their car was up on the rack it looks like if someone would creat a a bushing bypass (I like the sound of that - very medical sounding) it sould work.

Here is what I am thinking. The current setup is a liquid filled bushing with the hollow, open rod coming out from the center of the bushing... picture the rear diff having a hollow rod coming off the back of it that is rested in the middle of the bushing - which keeps it from moving about too much. if you could slide another rod into the middle of the existing rod that has a bushing on the other side of it and then attach that to the rear suspension it should do the job... to make things easier there are already a few predrilled holes in the suspension member - so a properly crafted part with all the holes lined up could be installed in aobut 10 minutes once the car was up on the lift...

I hate to say I hope more of these parts fail - but I hope more of these fail so that someone creates a simple fix...

OLD: 2003 FX35 | Brilliant Silver | Black Int | 22" Black Asanti 126's | Caskyline Grille | Smoked Tail Lights | De-Badged | 6K Fogs | Bat Overlays | Interior LED Lighting
NEW: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 | Billet Silver Metallic CC | Black Suede Int
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM

I have been researching this topic and found that the 350Z guys are replacing their diff mounts with solid mounts.

A company called SPL sells these http://splparts.com/SPL_SDB_Z33.html . For a couple hundred bucks, looks like a good solution. The diff neeeds to come out, but at least not the whole subframe.

I checked with the dealer and the G35 (same as Z) subframe has a different part# than the FX35, but the bushings could very well be the same. Someone needs to be a pioneer.

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks!

I am going in to one of their recomended shops for a fitting tomorrow (pun intended)... and they have one kit in stock... so if all goes well I will have this problem solved tomorrow!!!

03 FX35 AWD/ DG/ StrongStrut STB/ Stillen Cold Intake/ Aluminum Rails/ Clear Taillights/ KYB Struts/ H & R Springs/ 22x9.5 Giovanna Caracas' with 285/40/22 Falcons/ ipod integration kit/ cargo cover
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 AM

Thanks pilgrim!

Let me know how it works out!
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 09:35 AM

those are the 2 front bushings, not the main rear one that is the problem here...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03 fx35 awd, tech-sport, black diamond pearl custom paint, H&R lowered/cut, 3 pc maya 20's w/yoko parada spec-x's, 07 body upgrade, 07 dash w/10" sunlight viewable touchscreen pc, factory tech nav display relocated overhead, mercedes s550 mirror turn signal mod, g37 paddle shifters
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocad6
those are the 2 front bushings, not the main rear one that is the problem here...
I think the anodized ones are the subframe mount bushings. The silver one is the diff mount. The tech section is a little more clear:

http://splparts.com/instructions/SPL_SDBS_Z33.pdf
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Yeah, definitely let us know how the "fitting" goes, I am hoping this is a workable solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnoah
Thanks!

I am going in to one of their recomended shops for a fitting tomorrow (pun intended)... and they have one kit in stock... so if all goes well I will have this problem solved tomorrow!!!

OLD: 2003 FX35 | Brilliant Silver | Black Int | 22" Black Asanti 126's | Caskyline Grille | Smoked Tail Lights | De-Badged | 6K Fogs | Bat Overlays | Interior LED Lighting
NEW: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 | Billet Silver Metallic CC | Black Suede Int
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Mixed news - they avised that the machined bushing makes a little noise and that they had recently tested a polurathane bushing on their race car (350Z) that should be available soon which should be a lot quieter.

I figured that I would wait for that one to be released (I thought that the mechanic said that it was mfg. by the same company. So, I called the mfg and they advsied that they do not make a polyurathane one as it would deform very quickly and that it would still transfer as much a 95% of the noise that the billit one would.

So I guess I will go with the billit one soon unless I hear otherwise...

03 FX35 AWD/ DG/ StrongStrut STB/ Stillen Cold Intake/ Aluminum Rails/ Clear Taillights/ KYB Struts/ H & R Springs/ 22x9.5 Giovanna Caracas' with 285/40/22 Falcons/ ipod integration kit/ cargo cover
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 PM

we did billet bushings on a 350z, it transfers a lot of noise & vibration to the car, I mean a lot, it made it sound like it had bad bearings or something because of the direct transfer of noise... it was bad enough that eventually we reversed it, but, these are the 2 front dif bushings, not the rear center one which is the problem one here & is also not replaced with solid as far as I know...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03 fx35 awd, tech-sport, black diamond pearl custom paint, H&R lowered/cut, 3 pc maya 20's w/yoko parada spec-x's, 07 body upgrade, 07 dash w/10" sunlight viewable touchscreen pc, factory tech nav display relocated overhead, mercedes s550 mirror turn signal mod, g37 paddle shifters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page