Help! $4k in suspension problems with 2003 FX 35 79k miles! - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! $4k in suspension problems with 2003 FX 35 79k miles!

****Help! This doesn't seem right! I have 79k on my 2003 FX35 2WD and dealer is telling me that my engine motor mounts are out $1300 and to add insult to injury my power steering rack bushings are out, which they cannot replace and have to do a whole entire new power steering rack for $2300! Almost $4k for a 2003 car with 79k miles on it. Dealer is saying my car is not covered anymore under powertrain or the previous services they have done on it because it has been longer than 12mo/12k miles.

The car has had 24 different visits for suspension and brake issues combined since 3/03 when I bought the car. Neither the brakes or suspension have been consistent with this car. If it is not one thing, it's another. Do you think I have a lemon law case? I have contacted the dealer general manager and service directly via e-mail and voice mail and complained about the multiple issues with this car. I have also had five different issues with the driver's seat sqeaking and four issues with the rear hatch struts. Not to mention this car has had three sets of tires, two tires with irregular wear on them and three complete brake jobs. Do I have a lemon law case? Do have have an issue with Infiniti corporate? What should I do? This is uncomprehensible! Help!

I am crapping my pants right now wondering what to do. I am seriously thinking about getting rid of my silver bullet I have loved. This is way too steep. Thanks for any and all help.

2009 FX35 Black Obsidian on Java/Graphite Interior Premium and Nav Pkgs Born 1/31/09 22" Chrome Verde Kaos Wheels with 265/40/22 Yokohama Parada Spec-X
RIP: 2003 Silver FX35 "Silver Bullet" Sold 1/09 93k miles, 20" 2008 Chrome FX45 wheels, Axxess Ipod integration, K&N system Past Rides Owned:
2002 Red Lexus SC430 (currently), 2005 G35 Sport 6MT, 2004 Honda S2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
First. Welcome to the boards. I'm sorry your first post has to be about major problems.

It sure sounds like you have a case within the lemon laws. There is no reason you should have these kinds or that many problems with a four year old car. I'm not sure on the process but I would definately look into the laws and requirements.

I also think you should contact Infiniti corporate. Some people here have had good luck with it while others have had very little response but It can't hurt. Good luck and keep us posted on any progress.

05 FX35, Silverstone, Graphite, Touring, Escutcheon, Sport Pedals, LED Dtrl's(thanks rookie), Stillen STB, +2 Timing, Stillen CAI, LMS Z-Tube, Grrrowwl!!, Plenum is next (OK - well - actually the G35 E-brake pedal is next, but I swear, something is going to happen with that plenum).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:49 AM

Stop crapping your pants.

I also think that there seems to be a problem. I guess it also depends on how, and if, you abused the car while driving. What is a "complete brake job"? If you race from red light to red light, then you would need pads and rotors often. I changed my tires at about 25k miles, so at 79K miles I will also be at my 3rd or 4th set. Did you address the driver seat "issues" and rear hatch "issues" with the TSB's (technical service bulletins)?

If you saw that you were best buddies with the dealer going back and forth dozens of times as you say, why didn't you get the extended warranty when you had time?

The suspension work is suspicious, I would look into it (not sure how, though).

Do you have problems with it? Or the dealer just let you know that those problems exist? If it drives well, take it to another dealer, if you have one kinda close.

Best of luck and, please, keep us posted!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 Q45 -- SOLD 2003
2003 FX45, BBS RSGT, ACHILLES Desert Hawk UHP 265/50-20 -- SOLD 2011
2009 Mercedes ML550

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!! I LOVE SEWELL INFINITI DALLAS!!!

Great news! Sewell Infiniti is taking care of the $4k in repairs mentioned above. After speaking to the dealer GM, service director, service manager, service advisor and Infiniti Rep, they told me that they would honor this due to the interrelated issues involving the FX having a history of not stopping and driving properly. This was my case all along...although I could not prove it scientifically or mechanically, it made sense that the motor mounts and power steering rack would wear out especially early if the car's front suspension and brakes were not working properly most of the car's life.

Medic: No where in my original post did I say that I raced from stoplight to stoplight. I have never raced it, have taken it to the dealer for every scheduled maint., been in for 45+ visits over 3+ years to the dealer and it is garaged/pampered since day one. The only reason why I did not buy the extended warranty was because I did take so much care of this car. My 2002 SC430 which I bought used did get the Lexus Platinum warranty because I did not drive it the first 14k miles and didn't know the first owner's driving style, how they took care of it, etc. Although you can always pull the maint. records, you cannot tell how hard someone drove a car (at least under 3/4 years of age).

A full brake job is four rotors, all sets of brake pads replaced, most of the time they told me I needed to get an alignment as well and while I was there I had the tires rotated/balanced too. I went through three of these in the 79k miles. $1200-$1400 each visit. Pads only: Two times under warranty for what the dealer called "glazed pads" and the three aforementioned. I don't race. I drive moderate to semi-aggressively, but never raced. My point is that the brakes on these cars seem to wear out excessively. Based on this site and others it seems that most owners agree.

I got the seat covered and replaced under warranty once at about 15k miles, then the rails replaced twice, both under the TSBs. However everything was fine on the seat until it was out of warranty. I didn't realize that they only warranty their warranty work for 12k miles or 12 months. That kind of stinks...because long term issues like transmissions, a/c, etc can take a while to develop.

I guess I am still a little concerned about the maint. on this car going forward. I am out of warranty, out of drivetrain and have sunk a ton of money in the vehicle. It is paid off, and I really don't want to invest a whole lot more. Any suggestions on an extended warranty with a company that you can take your FX to your dealer that you have always gone to, and that won't cost $2k????

Thanks for all your help.

2009 FX35 Black Obsidian on Java/Graphite Interior Premium and Nav Pkgs Born 1/31/09 22" Chrome Verde Kaos Wheels with 265/40/22 Yokohama Parada Spec-X
RIP: 2003 Silver FX35 "Silver Bullet" Sold 1/09 93k miles, 20" 2008 Chrome FX45 wheels, Axxess Ipod integration, K&N system Past Rides Owned:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 02:03 AM

Wow, I am glad you got that covered and I am really happy Infiniti stepped up to the plate! Well done.

Regarding the racing, I know you never said anything about that. I was just sort of joking, and pointing out that it may depend on your driving habits...You do, however, have a good number of miles on that car!

Regarding the extended warranty, I do understand that you took care of the FX, but after having gone back and forth so often to the dealer, I would have expected that those trips will continue after the warranty expired, so I may have gone with buying the extension.

I think an aftermarket coverage won't be as thorough. I had one for my 91 Q45 and they woudl find stuff and excuses not to cover the work, especially at the dealer, where labor is $100+ an hour!

Would you sell? And along with the FX, sell your future troubles? That is something to consider...I understand that now that it's paid off you want to enjoy it for a while...

Others may know other companies that offer reliable warranty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 Q45 -- SOLD 2003
2009 Mercedes ML550
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 10:36 AM

Re: GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!! I LOVE SEWELL INFINITI DALLAS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxsilverbullet
Great news! Sewell Infiniti is taking care of the $4k in repairs mentioned above. .

I bought my FX from Sewell a little of a month ago. Haven't needed their service yet, but glad to hear they take care of their customers!

04 FX35 2wd
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Yes...Selling is an option, BUT...

I would only be drawn to its brawny and sleek looks all over again. I am a creature of habit. I've owned 28 cars in a little more than 18 years and four of those cars I've had several of. My problem is, I miss them when they are gone!

I am considering pursuing lemon law with an attorney if I have any other problems with the car. Based on everything I have read, it appears that I would really have a case with Infiniti corporate. I am going to see how the most recent work done on it pans out and if there are any more problems. Like I said, I have taken immaculate care of the car. It has a lot of miles, but all highway. I am in sales, so that is the nature of the beast when you are pounding the pavement. It was MFG 1/03, one of the first ones to be manufactured, and it is quite possible that maybe I did truly get a lemon. Like I said before, though, when things are going well, you don't think about an extended warranty. I also didn't think that I would pay off this car and keep it. My other car is a SC430, and I've realized that I want to keep that in collector's condition and have an everyday driver (maybe would trade FX in for a RX330 or a LX470, both are much more boring!).

The beauty of the FX is that it is really more sport than UV, but you can make it whatever you want. So comfortable, yet quick. Whenever I see one, It always catches my attention. I love the car...I just haven't loved all the problems. Maybe I would get another FX...this time a 45?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 03:33 AM

It is definetely a unique car.

I also do think that you should pursue the lemon law issue if you get another problem with it. Besides recalls/TSB's and occasional little issues, as you will see here on this board, people have not had major problems with their FX's and some have as many miles as yours.

1991 Q45 -- SOLD 2003
2009 Mercedes ML550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page