2003 FX35 High Oil Consumption... New Member Also! - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2003 FX35 High Oil Consumption... New Member Also!

Hey guys, Im new to the Infiniti community! I recently purchased a 2003 FX 35. It just flipped to 100K but overall the vehicle is in great shape! The car does not smoke or leak any oil, but this morning I did an oil change and it was about 3 quarts low. The last change I did was 3,500 miles ago, always Mobile 1 Full Synthetic and Mobile 1 Filter. I know these cars are notorious for this, my 2003 350z had the same issue just less severe. Any ideas on where I should start as far as correcting the issue? I normally do 5w30, should i Try 10w30 next time around? I drive enough to change the oil about every two months so my vehicles do take a large amount of abuse, but they are well cared for. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:52 AM

Re: 2003 FX35 High Oil Consumption... New Member Also!

i just checked in with my mechanic, last time i lost 1.5 quarts. NO leaks at all. no burning oil ive never smelt anything remotely close. and lastly, no cel.

that was around 3500k. ive heard to use 5w40 valvoline!

however you should give this a try, use quakerstate full synthetic with HEAT ADDICTIVES thats what im using now i just got an oil change will report back in a few thousand clicks but since most synthetics are all same try the ones with additional heat protectant, in the long run it may pay off. maybe instead of 3 quarts u burn it may be 2 quarts. also oil changes are 6.5 litres WITH THE FILTER, thats forsure because i let my oil drain on a hoist for 30 minutes before filling. and we checked after firing the engine. that last half quart keep with you in the car and after 1500 miles just top it off and you should be good until next oil change. however if you dont need to top it off leave the half quart so next time you only need to by 6 quarts

btw 04 fx45 74,000 miles just swapped both bearings driver and passenger but hearing a slight slight slight whistling noise maybe rears? cant hear with volume at 3, anywhow no more vibrations just changed both struts all 4 new brake pads passenger rear right caliper was seized and need oil change, i used quakerstate oil with purolator filter well see how that goes also changed cabin air filter . my ride is clean and well taken care of
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 11:49 AM

Re: 2003 FX35 High Oil Consumption... New Member Also!

Try using Sea foam in your oil just before an oil change. I put a whole can of Sea foam in my oil just before I change my oil. I drive for about 15 minutes and then drain the oil. I noticed a decrease in consumption my next oil change. I will do this several more times until i feel that the piston rings are not sticking. Sticking piston rings are usually the offenders in Nissan engines that use low-tension rings. Bad design,but good for horsepower. I have an fx45 that used to drink oil like a drunk drinks alcohol. When i switched to syn oil it helped with my oil consumption. Later after using the Sea foam ,which seems to be freeing up my rings, my oil usage has gone down a lot.

Brilliant Silver 2004 FX45 w/ tech package
Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 motor oil w/ K&N oil filter #1010
Denso Iridium Power Plugs IKH16
Yokohama YK580
5k HID bulb switch from the factory 4.2K HID bulb
Cool Blue LED parking lights
Bright White LED reverse lights
3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber Pillars
K&N Air Filter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page