Starter problems - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mel_Man
Starter problems

So I'm having issues with my starter. I have an 04 FX45 and it wouldn't start a couple of months ago for about a week then randomly all of a sudden it started and no problem for a while, then this past week it wouldnt start, then two days later it started fine, no problems for a day or two now it wont start again. a mechanic looked at it, from the outside he said everything looked fine, without really doing anything else other than visually inspecting it his verdict was that I need a brand new starter. My question is, should I get a second opinion, or should I just go and get the new starter, if I were to need a new starter, should I go for OEM part or would a generic one be perfectly fine. any help would be greatly appreciated.

'04 FX45 || DG || Tech Pkg || Nav || Clear Tails || Eibach Springs|| Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler || Pioneer DVD Player || Rockford Fosgate 600x4 and 1500x1 Amps || 2 10" Rockford Fosgate Power Series Subwoofers ||
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnmax
Re: Starter problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel_Man
a mechanic looked at it, from the outside he said everything looked fine, without really doing anything else other than visually inspecting it his verdict was that I need a brand new starter.
Hmm sounds like a good mechanic...

Maybe a 2nd opinion would be good. There are other things that would cause a vehicle not to start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

I would get a new battery before getting a new starter... when starters go, you can usually hear something different at first...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 FX35 AWD Touring - GARMIN GVN-53 NAV mod, NAV-TV iPod music and video, PARROT MK6100, VIPER 5901 w/ SMARTSTART & GPS Tracking, Strong Strut STB, MD 5/16" Copper Iso Thermal, LMS intake w/ 3" K&N Cone, BC RACING Coilovers, GT SPEC Ladder Brace, STOPTECH SS Lines, 20" AVARUS AV1 w/ BFG KDW/2's, HAWK HPS Street Pads, 6K HIDs and 5K Fogs, LED lighting everywhere, Sport Pedals with ebrake, Escutcheon...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatMan
I would get a new battery before getting a new starter... when starters go, you can usually hear something different at first...
yep, good advice

1991 Q45 -- SOLD 2003
2003 FX45, BBS RSGT, ACHILLES Desert Hawk UHP 265/50-20 -- SOLD 2011
2009 Mercedes ML550
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, maybe I should have mentioned this with my original post, I changed my battery a few months ago, the mechanic I went to did check the voltage output and it tested fine. The times that it hasn't started all the lights turn on without a problem. When I turn the ignition all I hear is a single clicking noise coming from the drivers side. When it doesn't start, it doesn't turn over, I get nothing.

'04 FX45 || DG || Tech Pkg || Nav || Clear Tails || Eibach Springs|| Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler || Pioneer DVD Player || Rockford Fosgate 600x4 and 1500x1 Amps || 2 10" Rockford Fosgate Power Series Subwoofers ||
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:16 PM

Still, somehow, it sounds like a battery... What battery did you put in? Can you try jump starting and see if it starts?

1991 Q45 -- SOLD 2003
2009 Mercedes ML550
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I tried jumpstarting it and it didnt work, would only keep making the 'one click sound' anytime I turned the ignition.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel_Man
Yeah I tried jumpstarting it and it didnt work, would only keep making the 'one click sound' anytime I turned the ignition.
I guess it's not the battery...
Now it sounds like you need a real, capable mechanic to have a look at it. Or just take it to the dealer and have them fix it, pay for it, and move on...

1991 Q45 -- SOLD 2003
2009 Mercedes ML550
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

The one click sounds like a relay that is tripping but nothing is going on on the other side... so in this case, it kinda DOES sound like the starter... but the fact that you either get started or NOTHING, makes it sound more like a wiring problem towards the starter... you may have a corroded wire that leads to your starter... not entirely out of the question as they are usually pretty exposed where they connect to the starter... have a look there first... you may not actually need to replace the entire starter... if there is no corrosion there, then the next logical step is the starter... doesn't sound like an alternator problem as your battery seems fine and has never fully drained... although you may want to do a "load test" on your battery to completely count it out as the culprit... if there's a bit of juice in the battery, it'll light up the interior lights just fine but won't turn over the starter and you'll just hear a "click" like what you're experiencing now...

2007 FX35 AWD Touring - GARMIN GVN-53 NAV mod, NAV-TV iPod music and video, PARROT MK6100, VIPER 5901 w/ SMARTSTART & GPS Tracking, Strong Strut STB, MD 5/16" Copper Iso Thermal, LMS intake w/ 3" K&N Cone, BC RACING Coilovers, GT SPEC Ladder Brace, STOPTECH SS Lines, 20" AVARUS AV1 w/ BFG KDW/2's, HAWK HPS Street Pads, 6K HIDs and 5K Fogs, LED lighting everywhere, Sport Pedals with ebrake, Escutcheon...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

When it won't start... Does it actually turn over or is there nothing at all when you turn the key?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page