VDC OFF and SLIP lights on!! ABS problem? - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to changyongjun
VDC OFF and SLIP lights on!! ABS problem?

Hi all,

I have had VDC-OFF, and SLIP light on on my 2004 FX35 from time to time. I visited the infiniti service last week, and they took more than a day to figure it out what causes the problem. They said I have to replace the ABS actuator whose cost is $1,800 !!!!!

I read the couple of posts here and I also checked the brake fluid level. The level is between max and min.
Do I really have to replace the actuator??? Is there anything else what I can try?

Thanks,
Yong

2004 FX35 AWD Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnmax
Re: VDC OFF and SLIP lights on!! ABS problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by changyongjun
Do I really have to replace the actuator??? Is there anything else what I can try?
Well did they 100% confirm it is the actuator? If so then I would say yes you have to change it. What exactly did they find and how?

Did you try and top off the fluid to the max mark? Between max and min really doesnt tell us much...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to changyongjun

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmax
Quote:
Well did they 100% confirm it is the actuator? If so then I would say yes you have to change it. What exactly did they find and how?

Did you try and top off the fluid to the max mark? Between max and min really doesnt tell us much...
I don't even know what they did and how. They just said it might not be the brake fluid problem.
Before spending $1,800 for my 7-year FX, I want to try doing anything I can do with a few $$.
I only checked the fluid level visually. I will try top off the fluid to the max. Thanks!

2004 FX35 AWD Silver

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnmax

Quote:
They just said it might not be the brake fluid problem.
Wow. Sounds like an expert diagnosis.. You'd think they would top off the brake fluid to know for sure. Simple and costs 50 cents. And they could have ruled that out. I wouldnt bring my car back to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
They just said it might not be the brake fluid problem.
Wow. Sounds like an expert diagnosis.. You'd think they would top off the brake fluid to know for sure. Simple and costs 50 cents. And they could have ruled that out. I wouldnt bring my car back to them.
+1

I had my VDC, Slip, and ABS lights on and it was the brake fluid at the min line. Topped it off and after a couple of on/off cycles the lights went away. Hopefully that will work for you as well.

Current - '08 FX45 Ivory Pearl/Wheat, Tech
Previous - '06 FX35 Ivory Pearl/Wheat, Tech, Touring, Sport, Handsfree

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Simple and costs 50 cents.
I don't know John. With the cost of fuel and all, that's probably more like $1.25

douchebag extraordinaire
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:51 AM

check the brake pads.
If they are to thin it may cause the same signal as low level of brake fluid.

- regards - Greg from Poland
SOLD FX35 '06 Brillant Silver/Black |Tech | Sport | Touring | Hands-free Package | 20" rims | CAI STILLEN | Z-TUBE |MOTORDYNE 5/16 Plenum Spacer | Gianelle Spidero 20" + TOYO 295/45/20 |
Admin
|
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 PM

OP I'm curious if you found a resolution to your issue? I noticed that you mentioned seeing the Slip and VDC Off indicators on ONLY (no ABS indicator), is this correct?

I've had an intermittent issue with these two indicators being on too (Slip and VDC Off indicators only) but only when the weather is on the colder side (never in the summer time or warmer weather >70 degrees)...strange

My brakes are still in great shape (new pads/rotors/brake fluid flush a while back ~20K miles or so). My brake fluid level is topped off so I don't believe my issue is with the brake fluid level (I suspect one of the ABS sensors is triggering mine, just haven't taken it anywhere to verify if any codes are present).

Larry

2004 FX35, AWD, Touring, Sport, Brilliant Silver/Graphite, EBC Greenstuff pads, EBC Sport rotors, BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 XL tires, Stillen STB, Passport 8500 X50 hardwired to mirror, 160GB iPod Classic direct-connected using Nissan iPod Gateway, GeorgiaRugMaster.com floor mats!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 08:15 PM

If you were having an ABS sensor issue, the ABS light would illuminate either steady or intermittendly (sp) and you'd have some whacky braking issues like ABS kicking in under normal, non-heavy braking conditions

douchebag extraordinaire
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 AM

This past winter in No. Va. my 2006 FX45 experienced the exact problem that Larry describes. As spring approached and the weather warmed (finally), the VDC OFF and SLIP light malfunction gradually eased and is now non-existent. My best judgement (including techs at Tysons Infiniti) is that a wheel sensor connection is not snug, and loosens when cold contracts the plug connection and then reconnects as weather warms and expands the connecting plug(s). Have not yet stopped long enough to locate schematic of connectors and then explore connectivity at the several points in this system. Any insight from a veteran of this problem would help us all.

2009 FX50S AWD - Slate Blue/Graphite
Tech | Nav | DVD | XM
2006 FX45 Autumn Copper/Espresso
Tech | Nav | Sport | DVD| Sirius | Tow | Eibach springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page