Anyone Ever Replace REAR Wheel Bearings/Hub FX35 AWD? - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, F45 and FX50 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone Ever Replace REAR Wheel Bearings/Hub FX35 AWD?

I apologize if this has been addressed, but if it has I couldn't find it - easy to find stuff about front hubs, nada on the rear.

I have an '04 AWD FX35, and am trying to replace the rear bearing/hub assembly. Got the wheel and rotor off just fine, but am stumped figuring out how you can remove the hub. The 4 hub bolt heads are on the inside and minimally accessible through the dust shield. The CV joint however, protrudes to the point that I can't even get a shallow socket on the bolts. I have not tried to put a wrench on it yet (letting PB Blaster do it's stuff) but does anyone know if I have to remove the entire shaft assembly to replace the rear hub? Any help is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnmax
Re: Anyone Ever Replace REAR Wheel Bearings/Hub FX35 AWD?

A search for REAR WHEEL BEARING found this thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24342&hilit=rear+wheel+bearin g and contains another link. No real tips mentioned there, but no problems either. Maybe you could PM the people in that link that did the rear bearing change for more insight.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker
#3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 PM

Thanks johnmax - I had worked through that thread already. Lots of information about bearings going bad, being bad, what parts to use, what dealers charge, but no real discussion of how to actually do it, a least not for the rear bearings.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnmax

Yea theyre not as common as the fronts. Not much talk on those.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker
#5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondAge
Thanks johnmax - I had worked through that thread already. Lots of information about bearings going bad, being bad, what parts to use, what dealers charge, but no real discussion of how to actually do it, a least not for the rear bearings.
What signs did you have when your rears went back? I'm at 120k+ and still rears are good -- front have both been replaced. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do the rears soon, but no "whirling sound" yet... yet.

03 Infiniti FX45 | DG/Graphite | Tech | DVD | cargo organizer | H&R | Custom Grill | Moda 22"x9.5" | Goodyear 265/40/22 | Tints | Akebono | Momo | Winter Mats | Black Rails | Tow Package | LED int/ext lights | LED Mirrors | Nismo Radiator Cap | STB | HID Fogs | JEGS Air Oil Separator | HKS Exhaust | Y Pipe | Hankook I*Pike RW11 265/50/20 | Front/Rear GTSpec Braces | AP Racing 6/4
#6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Chedman:
I have had three go bad now - one front and two rears. The one front made all the noises everyone describes. the one rear, just a rumble as far as I could tell (happened same time as front, and front was much louder). The second rear, the one I am trying to do myself, no sound at all except some faint noise like a brake wear indicator, then within a few days my rear wheel was so loose I could feel it going down the road. It happened suddenly w/o all the usual attendant grinding /rumbling /screeching noises you would expect. Just one day, faint nosies and "I think I better check that," then 3-4 days later, wheel feels like it is going to fall off.

Due to the lack of response and lack of online information it would seem rears going bad are a rare thing and this is a DIY procedure no one attempted. Fronts must relatively be a piece of cake; lots of information on those. I am resigned to the fact that I probably need to remove the entire half shaft assembly to accomplish this, and it may not be within my comfort zone to get that far into the suspension.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, F45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page