Steering Wheel shakes and Vibrates while driving above 60mp - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Steering Wheel shakes and Vibrates while driving above 60mp

Hi Guys,
Just bought a CPO 2007 fx35 a few weeks back and been having this problem constantly-Steering Wheel shakes and Vibrates while driving above 60mp , I changed tires to Yoko and supposedly the dealer roadforced balance it twice and also balanced it at discount tire store 4 times. Rotors have been resurfaced and front brakes replaced as well. Also I have noticed it does it more on some roads than others....The car has 20K miles on her, I have read through a few posts here, please advise if you guys have any insight on the vibration and shaking of the steering wheels as It is driving me nuts....
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:43 PM

Re: Steering Wheel shakes and Vibrates while driving above 60mp

Initially, I would say that it sounds like you are having the same problems as this member ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22573.

I would think rebalancing is the issue, but if its already been roadforce balanced twice and balanced 6 times in total and the problem persists, then it has to be something else. Perhaps a wheel was bent and never fixed correctly, or perhaps there is something loose with the steering components. Do you know if the problem is better, worse or the same if you swap the front tires to the rear and rears to the front?

Current: 2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport V6 | White | 2WD |
Previous: 2006 Titan LE CC | Smoke | 2WD |
Previous: 2004 FX35 | D. Graphite | RWD | Sport | 20" EXE Konkave | Yoko Parada Spec-X | MD 1/2" Iso Thermal | +2 | Clear Tails | Bat Overlays | S/S Brake Lines | Strong Strut STB |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

yeah, I'd say first thing is put a set of wheels on it from a known good riding fx... if it's still there then start replacing stuff... rotors first...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03 fx35 awd, tech-sport, black diamond pearl custom paint, H&R lowered/cut, 3 pc maya 20's w/yoko parada spec-x's, 07 body upgrade, 07 dash w/10" sunlight viewable touchscreen pc, factory tech nav display relocated overhead, mercedes s550 mirror turn signal mod, g37 paddle shifters

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 PM

Mine started shaking vibration after the Yoko tires were installed. I have to take to nissan dealer to rebalance them. It was fine with my OEM tires(bridgestone potenza), but now i notice steering wheel shakes. it is annoying sometimes and also i notice only on some roads.

its doesn't vibrate while applying the brakes. just driving over 80 to 100km.

2006 fx35, fully loaded, silver on black,front Tint 23%
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 PM

on going problem sometimes it is the road for me, might be the tie rods inner or outer I take a look to see if everything is nice and tight or check the steering. there are a few members who has had the problem dont know if they fixed it or just gotten use to it.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Check your wheel bearings
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 PM

Welcome to the club, my FX45 has done this for over a year. Two sets of tires, six balances, several rotations, new front rotors (replaced for an unrelated issue), and my dealer is now just taking the easy route and blaming the tires. BS, and I am getting pissed! My FX is no fun to drive at higher speeds. Even more frustrating is that it is intermittent and the steering can be perfectly smooth one second and then wobbling the next on the same road and at the same speed. The steering also sometimes feels like it is "grinding," though this really only occurs at very slow speeds or sitting still and turning the wheel. The vibration is absolutely the worst at 60-68 mph, better above 70 and below 60 (though still present). Wheel balance seems logical but I think it is safe to conclude that after six balances and not finding any bent rims (the steering vibrates even with rotating wheels front to back), it is NOT balance related.

I might just bend over, open up my wallet, and take it to an independent shop for them to inspect anything having to do with the front wheels. I keep hoping it is a tie-rod but I could find no indication of them being bad.

Does your FX35 happen to be AWD? Just curious, it seems a lot of the FX owners complaining of this problem happen to have AWD...

'10 QX56 - Current. $63k MSRP and no compass...?
'06 FX45 - Former
'05 FX35 - Former
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 06:50 AM

I think one of your front wheels is slightly bent

2003 Black Infiniti fx 35, Built in chick magnet, Non-Tech, 20" chrome wheels, Clear Tails, RWD...........future mods: Navigation System
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
drive FX
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 08:04 AM

i have a 2005 awd fx35 with brand new 265/50/20 yokohama parada spec x's, and i have the exact same problem. shaking steering wheel is worst between 60 and 70, and sometimes it goes away, but then it comes back again. at first i thought it was road related but it does it on perfectly smooth roads and bumpy roads. going in to get it rebalanced today.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 AM

I have the same problem with the steering wheel shake:
http://www.infinitifx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21988

It is high irritating. I love my FX but I am beginning to lose my patience. I also had the problem with the dash bubbling. So I decided to put the sun-shade up so I would help the issue. When I was taking down the sun-shade it ripped off piece of my dashboard. After a few months back and forth with the dealership I got my dash replaced. Picked it up this morning. Dash looks great but it have tons of greasy fingerprints all over the place. Joy!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page