Bad Wheel Bearing - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bad Wheel Bearing

I've read most or all the threads on bad wheel bearings. (Disappointing for this to happen, in my case, at only 35,000 miles.) My question: Do these rough-running bearings ever seize or otherwise fail catastrophically, for example while driving the (in my case) 100+ miles to the nearest dealer for warranty service?

'07 FX35 AWD DG 18" Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 06:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to StuLax18
Re: bad wheel bearing

I just got mine replaced at 32k miles. It shouldn't be a big problem because the dealership let me drive home on it.

'07 FX35 Sport/Tech black on brick
|K&N drop-in|Stillen STB|BC coilovers|Hankook Ventus ST RH06 265/50 front 295/45 rear|metallic black GTR 20's|GTSPEC Braces|APS 2.5" Exhaust|MD 5/16" Spacer|
post #3 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 06:43 PM

I suppose there's some amount of common sense involved.
I've had two front bearings fail and each time were making a fair amount of noise. (Many racing miles on mine, however)
I opted to drive it down.

I drove 300 miles to my dealer with no major failure either time.

2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe/Thunder Gray/Sunroof/Automatic
Formerly:G37x Moonlight White Coupe/Premium Package/Illuminated Kickplates/GT Spec Bar/Rear, Side Tinting
Formerly:2003 FX35 AWD/DG-Willow/Blk,Sport/2.5" Custom True Dual w/X Piping/V Force/Twister Mufflers/St/STB/1/2"Motordyne Spacer,H&R Springs/Railess/KDW's/Blizzaks,15LED Super White Running Lights/Hoen Xenonmatch Fog Lights

post #4 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 08:13 PM

I think it would take a while for this to seize. If it was the big of a problem it would be a fixed recall. I think it would just get real loose before it could ever sieze, not like the old style bearings.

Mines going in monday.

2005 FX35 Sport Package
post #5 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 08:48 PM

itss coverd under warranty???

2007 fx35 touring/Sport /tech.......
post #6 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 10:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to StuLax18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc 5jabi fx
Yes. Mine actually was found during a state inspection.

'07 FX35 Sport/Tech black on brick
|K&N drop-in|Stillen STB|BC coilovers|Hankook Ventus ST RH06 265/50 front 295/45 rear|metallic black GTR 20's|GTSPEC Braces|APS 2.5" Exhaust|MD 5/16" Spacer|
post #7 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc 5jabi fx
Of course, if you are within your warranty period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker
post #8 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

So, here's the upshot of my wheel-bearing adventure. My FX-35 mostly sat around the last few weeks until I could find a day to drive it 135 miles to the nearest dealer. (I wanted to combine state inspection and general service as well, since the trip eats up a day.) It wasn't fun driving 135 miles with a bad wheel bearing; I suggest turning up the stereo. It didn't seize up on me, though. The dealer replaced the wheel bearing under warranty, up front, with no argument and very quickly, before they even got around to telling me how much the non-warranty service would cost. Over the phone they had given me a little crap about maybe it was my tires or brakes, but when they test-drove it there was no further question about what the problem was. I think Infiniti has a big problem with these wheel bearings that they're not talking about. I've been driving for 42 years and never had to replace a wheel bearing on any vehicle before. Anyhow, if you start to get the vibration and whop-whop noise, you'll know what to do!

'07 FX35 AWD DG 18" Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires
post #9 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:56 PM

I drove mine for probably 30,000 miles before I had them replaced. I think they were bad when I bought the car(used)
and I just thought that was the normal road noise. It got real bad over the winter and I brought it to the dealer with
75,169 miles on it and they replaced them under warranty. They are covered under the 75,000 warranty. It's like
driving a new car. Absolutely dead quiet and no vibration. But I too wonder what makes these bearings go bad.
Never had that problem in any car I've owned in 30 years.
post #10 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnmax

I wouldnt call it an epidemic. Maybe the design cant handle the stress of a 4300lb vehicle being flung around.

**** ive had other cars that i had to replace them on.

At least its not super expensive or difficult to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page