FX won't start!!! - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FX won't start!!!

This is a quick rant:

My FX has been running like a champ ever since Iíve owned it. But tonight she decided not to start. I was pulling up into a gas station and hit a deep pothole, jarring the car pretty good. Iíve hit worse before so I didnít think much of it. I turn off the car, filled it up and got back in. At first I thought I didnít hold it down long enough to turn the engine over, so I tried againÖno luck. After a few more attempts I popped the hood to see if anything has been disconnected from that bump. Since it was dark I couldnít really tell, I even looked under the car to see if anything was loose. I lifted the rear seat cushion to see if the connection to the pumps were ok, but I couldnít tell either. After all these checks, I decided to call a tow truck.

It was a bumpy 10-mile ride home. Yes home. Iím leaving for Thailand this week so I figured Iíd take care of this when I got back, so no point of leaving it at the dealer or any mechanic. As the tow truck guy was about to lower the car back to the ground, he accidentally cranks the key all the way, and VROOM!!! She started!

Right about this time I knew it had to be a loose connection somewhere for the fuel system, and the last people to meddle with that was the dealership when they fixed my TSB on the fuel filler hose for í03 fx45s. This was done less than a month ago. I distinctively remember the service advisor telling me to bring the car in w/ ľ-tank since they had to lower the tank to get to the hose. That pothole was the first major bump since the repair. Iíve never touched the fuel system on this car before, unless you count the ECU re-flash. But Iíve never encountered anything negative from that.

Before I do anything, I just wanted to check with you guys to see if there are any precautions and advice I should take before pointing fingers.

You guys are great! Thanks in advance

03 FX45 - MODDED...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 02:35 AM

What was happening when you tried to start? Engine would turn over but not catch? Or just clicking?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

it just sounded normal, no clicking... just not cranking over to idle.

sounded like it had no gas...not even that uneven idle of "almost there" sound.

battery was good
starter was good

when i got it home, every time i tried, it started up fine...idled fine too.

03 FX45 - MODDED...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:49 AM

I have had the same thing happen. I think it has something to do with touching the starter for a short period of time. It seems like the thing refuses to start the next couple of tries.
I never had it refuse to start after letting it sit about a minute though.

Fx is gone, current car is 04' S55 AMG
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 12:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to terps4
I had the same thing happen last weekend on my 2005. At first I thought I just hadn't given it enough time to crank. But then it refused to start even with 10-15 seconds of strong cranking. Mine sounded like there was no fuel as well.

After about 10 minutes and probably 20 attempts, I pushed it out of its parking space and turned the car so it wasn't sitting nose down. I also switched over to the REAL key instead of the intelli-key. I'm not sure which of these did the trick, but it started right up. I called Infiniti to wave off the flatbed, and I haven't had a problem with it since.

I suspect it was one of two things:

1. The intelli-key circuits were confused. Remember I used the REAL key to fire it up. Of course I've used the intelli-key for every start before and after this occurance with no problems.

2. The car was sitting very slightly nose down. Perhaps the pump that transfers fuel from one side of the saddle-bag gas tank to the other wasn't doing its thing. Could that lead to fuel starvation? That was the thinking I used to turn the car out of that parking space.

Regardless... I got it home, it ran like a champ on the way, and it has run fine ever since.

SOLD - 2005 FX35 AWD - Ivory Pearl & Willow
AAM Angled Plenum Spacer | +2 Timing | Fram Air Hog | LMS Z-Tube | Stillen STB
Billet Lower Grille | Silverstar Fogs | Superbright LEDs | VW Flashlight | Apple iPod | Zaino
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 02:35 PM

Sent you a PM, check your filter,if your filter became dislodged by the bump etc and separated from the MAF it will stall or not start...a couple of us have had the problem with the box or look a like

2003 Blk/ Blk/Brk,FX45,airhorn,VDCreversed,angeleyes,elect fan,
6K&3KYfogHID ,STB,H&R,KYB,8wiregrnd,20x10,iForgedTrial,Toyo265/45x20,
Wasa'sContraptionCAI,,+14BDC,crsdrlrtrs,HPS,SS BrLn,TS/flash,,UTR Y
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

I haven't had the chance to test it out today, but it seems feasible that the MAF could have played a role on this. I'll see what it does tomorrow before leaving for work. I'll try your tricks out tomorrow if i end up getting delayed at the parking lot. Thanks again for all your input.

03 FX45 - MODDED...

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 10:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to bradical Send a message via MSN to bradical
also note whether it "ever" catches a bit on the time you are cranking. mine would catch a bit like it was going to fire up, but never actually do so.

then i finally got them to replace a leaking injector with jugs help.

check for gas smell too while cranking

Zaino shine! | Eibach Pro-Kit | Stillen STB | +2 | K&N filter | dual ORG stickers | Sirius/stealth antenna | dual JL 8" subs | bug deflector

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 12:37 PM

cranking, or not

Mine has done this three times. W Tech Package, I had to take my key out and stick it in to start teh FX. Only one of the two keys worked by the way. Cant remember why, but that triggers the kill safety switch.

For me this was the issue. I had the front jacked up with front tires off cleaning. WHen I dropped it , it would not start.

The second time was dead battery and I had to replace it.

Third time, it just would not start and I had to do it.

HFXA
'03 BO/Graphite FX45 w/Tech and DVD, Rail-less, TSW Bavaria Chromies, Nitto 420s, Eibachs, Stillen STB, K&N Drop In, +2, Cool Blue Fogs, Stealth Signals, Polarg Clearances, LED plate bulbs, Red Calipers, Bat Overlays, Tint
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 08:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shinchan
Sorry to dig up an old post.. but i had my 8 month old car pull that crap on me today... the car would not start.. i can hear the cranking.. but just won't fire up.. until... i use the regular key and give that a couple try.. and suddenly it fired up.... wired?

also .. i put it in Park.. and try step on the gas the rev the engine.. the engine sounds fine..but some weird hollow notes are coming from exhaust.. as if I have aftermarket exhaust.. but I don't have any aftermarket exhaust...

o6 FX35 Black/Black Touring/Handsfree/Sport/Clear Bra/Motordyne 1/2" Copper/Z-Tube/UTR Carbon STB/UTR Y-Pipe/Stillen CAI/Nissan IPOD Module/SS Line/Grouding/OEM Hitch+Harness
2007 335i Coupe ZSP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page