Stuck pedal .. wow - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stuck pedal .. wow

This will wake you up in the morning.

As I was getting on the freeway today, I was behind a slow bus going 45 or so.. The center lane was pretty open, but I needed to punch it to get up to the 70 mph everyone else was going. So I did, and the pedal STUCK to the floor! It was down for maybe 3 seconds, enough to scare the living bejesus out of me. It happened so quick, I wasn't really thinking straight .. I immediately got into the leftmost lane, which had a lot of free space ahead, so as I hit 80+, I had some time to get control.

I wanted to throw it into neutral and brake, but I think I slapped it into manumatic, which probably did nothing. Good idea, bad execution. I also turned on my windshield wipers and turned off my headlights. So all in all, a pretty bad yard sale of emergency arm flailing.

The pedal seemed mechanically stuck. It seemed to "pop" back up. When I got to work, I looked at the pedal and the "block" under it, and saw where it can perhaps catch the lip of the floor mat (which was secure on the peg.) So my first suspect is the floor mat. The mat needs to be 2" longer or shorter.

Question: If the car is off, can I stomp on the gas pedal to try and re-create this problem without flooding the engine?

Ivory Pearl 2004 FX35 AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 12:03 PM

Do you have rubber over a carpet mat? There's a TSB.

Many people put the rubber "all weather" mats right over the carpet mats, which can cause what happened to you. We did this when we left the dealer with our new FX last year, not knowing any better. Fortunately, we didn't have a problem.

There's a technical service bulletin about it (http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB05-008.htm).

'15 QX50

"You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it there are only alibis." - Henry Ford (nice thoughts from a not-so-nice man)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 12:57 PM

Wow crazy story.

You should be able to step on the accelerator petal without flooding. I did it a bunch of times when trying to reset my ECU.

04 FX45 Black/Brick Tech/Premium - Mudflaps | K&N Air Filter | Stillen STB | Yokohama Parada Spec-X | Nav input while moving mod

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:20 PM

NEVER throw a car into neutral when that happens. You risk blowing your engine. I would suggest turning off the engine and steering straight until the vehicle stops. If it ever happens again, that is.

'05 FX35 Diamond Graphite, Black Leather
Touring Package
Technolgy Package
Sirius Satellite
No Mods
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:59 PM

Re: Stuck pedal .. wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncantuna
Question: If the car is off, can I stomp on the gas pedal to try and re-create this problem without flooding the engine?
I doubt it would flood the engine since the throttle is NOT mechanically controlled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHFX
NEVER throw a car into neutral when that happens. You risk blowing your engine. I would suggest turning off the engine and steering straight until the vehicle stops. If it ever happens again, that is.
Cars have a rev limiter that will shut off the fuel when the revs reach a predefined limit to prevent damage to the engine. All that will happen is the engine will reach the limit, cut the fuel, the revs will fall a hundred or so, the fuel will turn back on and the revs will hit the limit again... and so on. Pretty annoying but that's all.

'04 FX35 AWD Black/Brick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/

My Goal: To earn enough money to live the same life as my wife & kids.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Indeed, I do have my rubber floor mat on top of the carpet one .. but my rubber mat is really thin, less than 1/4 inch high.

-- As for throwing in neutral, wouldn't the rev limiter stop the engine from blowing up? I'd suspect the rpms would bounce up and down at the high end, but at least I'd have power steering/brakes until I could stop at the side of the road.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncantuna
-- As for throwing in neutral, wouldn't the rev limiter stop the engine from blowing up? I'd suspect the rpms would bounce up and down at the high end, but at least I'd have power steering/brakes until I could stop at the side of the road.
Never mind, looks like particlefx beat me to that thought.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 02:45 PM

Lets also not forget that the cars aren't carburated, very little chance of flooding.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 02:57 PM

I understand about the rev limiter...still I would hesitate put the car in neutral at high speed. What if the rev limited fails? Very scary situation, and I'd rather shut off the engine personally.

'05 FX35 Diamond Graphite, Black Leather
Touring Package
Technolgy Package
Sirius Satellite
No Mods
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:13 PM

I know it can be done in manual tranny cars, but can one shut off the engine without setting the parking brake on autos?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page