New glitch-Fuel gauge showed empty, even with gas in the car - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnmax
New glitch-Fuel gauge showed empty, even with gas in the car

The wife called me today and said when she started the FX up, the gas gauge read dead empty. She knew she had at least 1/4 tank. On the fuel economy screen it showed 100 miles to empty. So, knowing the sometimes wackiness of these "technologically advanced" vehicles, and hearing my daily stories about crazy electronics in general, she turned off the FX and started it back up, and the gauge then read fine. Sure is strange.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Johnmax

Mine did something strange as well. I was stuck in traffic and moving less than five miles an hour. The My milage till empty dropped over 150 miles. It stayed there until i hit the reset. I think the computer in our cars get confused when stuck in traffic. Does this happen anyone else???

Vince
2005 FX35 - Stock for now.

2005 Infiniti FX35 AWD, STB, ESCH, Hella Horns, Liquid ICE,

2004 Infiniti G35X. Stock.

2004 Honda CBR 954RR - Scorpion Exht.

1997 Yamaha V-Max Hindle Full Exhaust, Stage 1 Jet Kit.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Did it again a few times tonight. The wife says it did it the first time when it got to 1/4 tank, and tonight once we hit 1/4 tank it did it again a couple of times. I'd come out of a store and gauge read empty, but it was 1/4 when we stopped. Finally I just drove some knowing there was gas in there, and slowly it crept from empty up to the quarter mark. Ugh. Looks like a trip to the dealer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Always does it now once the tank gets to 1/4. Called the dealer and he said he would order a new fuel sender. Kinda strange that they would order it before checking it out, so I asked and he said that he has seen it before. Funny that none of us has.

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:33 PM

There's a TSB out for it.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

I don't see one that for that problem. Only two for fill up issues.

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to red45
i have the same prob i guess i'll call now thats its a known prob

2004 Red FX45 <Sport - Tech - XM>- Eibach - Stillen STB - Stillen Cat-Back - Yokohama ADVAN ST - LMS CAI - 05 Tails - G35 Sport Clutch Ebrake Cover - Nav-TV - Alto Falstaff 12 - X50 - Whelen Talon Blue/Blue+2 - Front Tints ** GONE** 2008 G35xS 5% Tint ** GONE** Current 2008 FX45 Modding in progress
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 03:40 PM

I had the problem of the gauge showing empty with approx 7 gals of gas left in the tank. If I kept driving, the needle would actually start to rise again. I did research the TSB, which had to do with incorrect fuel gauge and recommended changing the sensors.

My car was fixed under warranty. Since the fuel tank on the FX is shaped like a pair of saddlebags (lobes on left and right, and over the driveshaft), the fuel is pumped between the two sections as well as to the engine. There are two fuel units that were replaced, and everything is working fine now. I believe that the TSB shows accessing the top of the fuel tank from a panel under the back seat.

2003 FX45 LC/BB
Tech, DVD, Sirius
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:22 PM

This is happening to me now -

I got in the car today after putting in $10 (just to get me to Costco so I can get cheaper gas) and the needle was pegged on Empty and the lil red light was on. The "Miles to empty" 123.

So I get to Costco - filled it up and it only took 13 gallons. JohnMax did the new part fix your problem??

2005 FX35 - NRG STB/K&N Drop In/LMS Z TUBE//Eibachs/MD 1/2" Spacer/Rear Sway Bar/Axis Mods/Cross Drilled Slotted Rotors/Throttle Body Spacer/GT Spec complete set of braces/UR Pulley/Strup Headers/Nismo Exhuast/TS Tuned
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Yup the fuel sender fixed it. Its been over a year and all good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page