Fx45 Burning excessive oil - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, F45 and FX50 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fx45 Burning excessive oil

Hey everyone. I'm having issues with my 1st gen. Fx45. It's burning excessive amount of oil within weeks. I had an oil change 2 weeks ago and now my oil light comes on. My exhaust are super black and oily as well. Anyone with the same problem or solutions that may help me. Took it down to the dealer but they told me I needed to replace the long block which is $8500!! Too much $$ no warranty. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:47 PM
dUb

Re: Fx45 Burning excessive oil

Read on: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25605&p=281695&hilit=sea+foam# p281695
#3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:50 PM

If you decide to try the sea foam please report back, I'm sure many of us are dying to know if it can save a smokey VK.

'03 '45 - no rails, red tails, Paradas
#4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 05:06 AM

Are there any news about the Seafoam trick? Did you try it? Worked it out for you?

I have the same problem and I would really like to know if it works. Since I'm in Germany and no one over here sells Seafoam I tried some Liqui Moly products. A Motor Cleaner and a product called "CeraTec" witch you add to the fresh oil to fill the scratches in the Cylinder Walls and keep the rings "smooth". But that doesn't work as I've wished! It gets a little better but the V8 is still burning oil as **** (04' with 72k). Now I am again thinking of importing Seafoam from the States.

I'm wondering if it's possible to open the intake manifold to have a look at the intake valves. If they are oily maybe the piston rings are still ok and you "just" concentrate on the valve seals.

Thanks for your sugesstions
#5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:36 AM

I've read many of these Forums, and recently I came across one that a guy teared down the FX45 engine apart to rebuild it. The engine had 320K and nothing was wrong with the valve seals, cylinder wall nor the rings were worn down. The problem with these engines is that they are very sensitive and if you dont use proper oil and gas with proper maintenance the pistons very easily builds up carbon! Once the rings build up a little bit of carbon they stick very easily, and lets of coarse oil to go by and burn! I have a '03 FX45 with 195K, It started to burn lots of oil not too long ago. What I just recently have done is took out the plugs, SOAKED the plug holes with SeaFoam ''DEEP CREEP". I used 2 cans, 1 for each bank equally and left it over night. This method will clean the whole piston from the top and going thru the rings. The next day I pulled out the Injector fuse and cranked it couple of times to let out most of the fluids. I then started it with new plugs of coarse and let it run for about 15 mins to burn off all the CRAP out (Start it outside as there will be LOTS of SMOKE!) Then drove it for about 20-30 mins until there wasnt anymore smoke as well as to let the sludge end up in the oil pan. Came back to the shop and changed the oil and added one full can of (1 Pint) SeaFoam with synthetic oil, to do bottom end cleaning! I'm going to now change the oil every 3K with 1 Pint of SeaFoam for about 3-4 times to make sure all the carbon gets cleaned!

I've been driving it for about 2 days now after doing that and the engine has showed lots of good results so far! More Power, more gas efficient and dont notice anymore blue smoke! I will keep u guys posted after 500-1000k to see if the oil level has gone down or not! Lets all cross our fingers this will work so we dont have to spend thousands on an engine rebuild!
#6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Are there any news? My car is still burning oil like it's gas! Does any one of you know a way to narrow it down to the rings? I really want to make sure that the rings are worn out before I rip the engine apart?
#7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:08 PM

Try Seafoam. Report back.

'03 '45 - no rails, red tails, Paradas
#8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 05:17 PM

I added a video for you guys, that you can see what I'm talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4XIN_AgB1o

This is without seafoam
#9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:30 PM

Ok ya that's very bad!! Mine wasnt even as bad! I honestly notice a big difference with what I mentioned above, I checked the dipstick after 150k and the oil looked good and same level, so far so good!
#10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 01:36 PM

@ZXTTFAST I really would like to try your "Sea Foam treatment" but I'm not able to find an online store who will ship this stuff to Germany
Do you probably know a shop who will ship it internationally?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, F45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page