DIY Spark Plug Change Help - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DIY Spark Plug Change Help

115 Miles on my '04 FX 35. I have not had great experience with the dealer in my area. I would like to change the spark plugs myself. Any tricks or suggestions. Should the plugs be as recommended in the manual? Anti seize compound?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnmax
Re: DIY Spark Plug Change Help

I'd recommend searching here on spark plug replacement. There are many topics about this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 04:50 PM

Hi. I have an 2004 fx45 as well. I would suggest using denso iridium power plugs when you change your plugs. I replaced my plugs a couple hundred miles ago. The acceleration and gas mileage is better on my FX. My truck have 74000 miles on it. The stock NGK' s was working,but my gas mileage was not too good. the stock plug electrodes were worn down, which was why my gas mileage was so low. I would suggest changing the stock plugs every 60K to maintain performance. I also recommend the denso power iridiums because the have a smaller electrode that needs less voltage to maintain a spark and a groove that allows a larger spark to burn fuel more effectively that the stock NGK's. I do not know if the life of the iridiums will be longer than the platinums, but I will change them in about 60K miles anyway. I am not a fan of 100k+ spark plugs, yes they may fire but the performance is not good. Also if you do change your own plugs, may sure you have an long extension or a couple shorter extensions for your socket and a swivel joint to access the driver side plug near the firewall. I hope this helps. P.S. Now I get 15-16 mgp city driving alone in stop and go traffic on the mpg gauge. Before I had to drive some highway miles also to get that high an mpg average. It used to be around 11-13 mpg driving in the city. Also I would not use anti-seize on my threads because it could do more harm than good, I just wait until my engine have cooled overnight and change my plugs to prevent damage to the aluminium head and threads.

Brilliant Silver 2004 FX45 w/ tech package
Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 motor oil w/ K&N oil filter #1010
Denso Iridium Power Plugs IKH16
Yokohama YK580
5k HID bulb switch from the factory 4.2K HID bulb
Cool Blue LED parking lights
Bright White LED reverse lights
3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber Pillars
K&N Air Filter

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 PM

Hi there, anyone go to remove the coil/plug boot and have it separate ? I changed 7 plugs and on the last one the coil just popped off, leaving boot with a spring in it in the valve cover.

I pulled the boot out, looked for where it broke but didn't see anything wrong, wondering if these things are meant to come apart or if it's toast ? Obviously I now have a miss, so I guess it's toast and not supposed to come apart.

What sucks is that everything was dry , clean and went smoothly, until this last one,

Thanks in advance for any info, really could use the help now that I have a miss.

Terry
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:39 PM

Sorry to hear that happen to you on the last plug, I had trouble removing the last one on the drivers side closer to the firewall also.I had to bent it a little, which scared me but it worked. I think that you can squeeze the boot back on the coil itself. I saw that advance auto parts sell boots for our coil packs, so I assume that it can be put back on. I wish you luck.

Yokohama YK580
K&N Air Filter
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:33 AM

Here's the update, the spring fell out and I wasn't sure which side was up, last thing I wanted to do was damage another one trying to figure this out.

This morning I call dealer and told that it is NOT supposed to come apart and that's "obviously" where the miss is.

But as the last reply indicated, they do sell the boot separately at after market stores, so this morning I took it apart again and reversed the spring, it fired up perfectly, running strong. Drove to my local mechanic to have a look, everything is clean and in order.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

LOL... glad you had a happy ending...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 FX35 AWD Touring - GARMIN GVN-53 NAV mod, NAV-TV iPod music and video, PARROT MK6100, VIPER 5901 w/ SMARTSTART & GPS Tracking, Strong Strut STB, MD 5/16" Copper Iso Thermal, LMS intake w/ 3" K&N Cone, BC RACING Coilovers, GT SPEC Ladder Brace, STOPTECH SS Lines, 20" AVARUS AV1 w/ BFG KDW/2's, HAWK HPS Street Pads, 6K HIDs and 5K Fogs, LED lighting everywhere, Sport Pedals with ebrake, Escutcheon...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 08:24 AM

Congrats!!!

Yokohama YK580
K&N Air Filter
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:51 PM

Still going strong, glad the design wasn't as poor as I thought it might have been.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 03:37 PM

I changed the plugs on my FX35 with laser platinum plugs. I didn't gap them. They came with a 0.045" gap. When I started it up, it ran rough. I immediately turned it off. Any ideas on what could be the problem? The last plug connector seemed like it might not have gone on properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page