FX won't start - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FX won't start

What's up y'all. Last night my 2003 FX45 left me stranded. The car has 72k, no dash lights on. Drove from the office to happy hour, and when I got back to the car to go home, it would crank and all lights worked, but wouldn't fire up. Everything seemed to be functioning just fine on my way there. I did detect a slight burning smell en route to the happy hour, but my windows were down and it was a hot day, so it may or may not be related. Idle seemed normal.

I've used the search feature and found a couple of different posts related to ignition coil burnout. That might be a possibility, although in both cases I found, they were experiencing a rough idle.

I had the car flatbed towed to a Nissan dealership (nearest Infiniti dealer is 45 minutes away). I hinted that they might check the alternator output to see if it exceeds 13.8v, and that the ignition coils might be burned up.

Haven't heard back yet, they're currently diagnosing the problem.

Does anyone have some insight into what is wrong? I just want to be smart about it when they call back with a diagnosis. I would prefer to avoid getting a second opinion, so anything you have to contribute would be appreciated.

'03 '45 - no rails, red tails, Paradas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnmax
Re: FX won't start

If it cranked, then no need to check the alternator. It is obviously charging the battery enough.

Even with a bad coil or 2 it should still start up. Plus they dont go bad when the car is off. You woulda saw a check ngine light beforehand when you last drove it.

Did you notice the key light flashing in the cluster? May be a problem with the car not recognizing the immobilizer key. Or if it has I-key, did you try to take out the key blade from the I-key and use that to start?

Most likely it was key related. We have quite a few "no start" threads where the key/chip was the culprit. RF interference can cause weird issues like a no start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmax
Even with a bad coil or 2 it should still start up. Plus they dont go bad when the car is off. You woulda saw a check ngine light beforehand when you last drove it.

Did you notice the key light flashing in the cluster? May be a problem with the car not recognizing the immobilizer key. Or if it has I-key, did you try to take out the key blade from the I-key and use that to start?

Most likely it was key related. We have quite a few "no start" threads where the key/chip was the culprit. RF interference can cause weird issues like a no start.
Thanks, it sounds like they're on the right track. They called back, said the "body control module" (?) wasn't recognizing the key. They reprogrammed the key, the car started up. After a little time, however, the car stopped recognizing the key again. They asked for another key to test, so my wife is taking the valet key down there.

Can anyone explain what the body control module is/does? How is it different from the ECM?

If the body control module needs replaced, thoughts on how it broke? Any ideas what that might cost?

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hmm ... if it really is the security key deal then I hope it sorts out for you. I had similar starting issues and replaced the crankshaft position sensor, and voila -- vroom, vroom. At any rate, cranking and not starting could be a number of things. Did the on-board diagnostics yield any answers yet at the dealer?

06.35 AWD-IP-Wheat-Tour-Tech-HF|Cargo|Splash|WxTech FloorLiner|Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV 18|Infinity 62.11I+3002cfx|M1.Syn75W90-FD,RD;M1.SynATF-TC|QS Syn.5W30-Eng|Fram Cabin

05.35 AWD-DG-Willow-Tour (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RIP... Kids, sheesh! )|Splash|Cargo|Hitch|Latitude Xi2 18|TSWCroft/ExclUHP 20|Strong-Strut|M1.5W30-Eng;75W90-FD,RD;M1.SynATF-TC;BG.Syn-TR|TR Cooler|Fram Cabin|Rain-X Lat|Infinity 3012cf+652.7i|Rostra Con-Verse+Native Mute|ISNI-531|DieHard Plat|Bosal Exhaust|BC V-03-BR Coilovers
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:48 PM

BCM pretty much controls EVERYTHING on the inside of the car. ECM controls engine related stuff.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitesseFX
Did the on-board diagnostics yield any answers yet at the dealer?
Not that I'm aware of. Just got a call back, they're thinking it's related to the BCM because the power seats, steering column, dome lights etc. are not working. They asked if I had tried to jump the car, because it seemed like it had been jumped "backwards". Never have jumped started the car.

They asked for another hour for diagnosis. Hopefully they'll figure it out. I hope taking it to Nissan vs Infiniti wasn't a mistake.

Has anyone needed a BCM replacement before?

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Ok latest update: they want to replace the BCM after calling the Nissan tech line in the morning. Anyone needed a new BCM before?

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 07:40 PM

I think a few here have had them changed. Mostly under warranty though. Theyre not cheap from the dealer. Youre in for a nice sized bill...

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmax
I think a few here have had them changed. Mostly under warranty though. Theyre not cheap from the dealer. Youre in for a nice sized bill...
Yeah. I'm wondering if I should call an Infiniti dealer in the morning for a quote.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 08:56 PM

Couldnt hurt. But Nissans labor rate is probably lower, even though it only takes 10 mins to change it. The problem is the cost of the BCM, plus the time they have into it already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page