Infiniti FX Forum banner

Service Engine Soon, Slip and VDC off all on at once

92K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  gotvindaloo 
#1 ·
This has happened to me twice now. 2004 model with 38,000 miles. I come to a stop and then am not able to accelerate away. No power. The Service engine soon, slip and VDC off lights all come on. I have been able to roll very slowly but no amount of gas pedal pressure helps but the engine is still running. I stop, turn the ignition off and back on and then everything is fine with the exception of the Service engine soon light staying on. I have read some of the posts and will take a look a the brake fluid level etc. Any other ideas. Thanks.

#2 ·
Hi,
I had the same thing happen to me last week.
Took it to infiniti and they reset the computer. Two days later the same thing happened again..The mechanic said that if it comes on again they would have to do a total check. So far it hasn't come back on, but when it did, I still had all the power and acceleration..just annoying to see those lights on when u drive. Will let you know as my 06 Fx35 is at my mechanics shop getting the stillen stage 2 supercharger installed.

Any other questions feel free to share.

Sohail

#3 ·
#4 ·
Did you loosen your steering wheel by any change...?? Or did something on your allignment....??

I had the VDC and Slip lights on as well and it was the steering sensor. When mounting my new Headers we had to loosen the steeringhousing a bit wich resultet in my steering wheel not being 100% right in the middle. There is a sensor picking this up and giving a signal by lightning up these Slip and VDC lights.

#5 ·
Camshaft Position Sensor. With the frequency with which this issue seems to show up, I'm amazed at how often the dealer doesn't know what to do. My dealer (Glendale Infiniti in Los Angeles) recommended (by both the tech and the service manager) a cam replacement (or sprocket replacement) that he determined would be $7500 dollars (at least).

Went to an independent mechanic and had the camshaft position sensor replaced for a few hundred bucks and been working fine ever since.

#6 ·
surfsup said:
Camshaft Position Sensor. With the frequency with which this issue seems to show up, I'm amazed at how often the dealer doesn't know what to do. My dealer (Glendale Infiniti in Los Angeles) recommended (by both the tech and the service manager) a cam replacement (or sprocket replacement) that he determined would be $7500 dollars (at least).

Went to an independent mechanic and had the camshaft position sensor replaced for a few hundred bucks and been working fine ever since.
**** that was some hard cash the dealer want to take out of your pocket.....!! :shock:

Didn't you put some sharper cams in it as well when all was open anyway :wink: i was thinking on other cams but it is quit some job to mount them :roll:

#7 ·
Nchusker said:
This has happened to me twice now. 2004 model with 38,000 miles. I come to a stop and then am not able to accelerate away. No power. The Service engine soon, slip and VDC off lights all come on. I have been able to roll very slowly but no amount of gas pedal pressure helps but the engine is still running. I stop, turn the ignition off and back on and then everything is fine with the exception of the Service engine soon light staying on. I have read some of the posts and will take a look a the brake fluid level etc. Any other ideas. Thanks.
Hey bud,

apart from checking your brake fluid, also check the water temp sensor..That caused my 06 fx to ignite the warning lights twice So far so good after changing the sensor...

#8 ·
So I had a Service Engine Soon light a few days ago. No apparent problem, good performance, etc. but I hate unexplained warnings. Dealer checked codes and found some kind of "condensation" warning (don't you love when they won't say EXACTLY what it was...). Turns out the gas cap wasn't put all the way on (how embarrassing). They tightened the cap, reset the code, and so far all is well. Good thing, I'm driving to Vegas tomorrow...

So this begs the question...is there some kind of cheap code reader I can buy to read my own codes?? And with all of the technology in this car-WHY can't the codes just pop up on the maintenance screen of the monitor????

Good luck to Nchusker, hope you get yours sorted out soon.

#9 ·
SoundFX said:
Turns out the gas cap wasn't put all the way on (how embarrassing). They tightened the cap, reset the code, and so far all is well.
Geez you'd think after having 2 FXs you'd get this right by now... :p :D

Sears and Pep Boys usually have cheapo scanners.

SoundFX said:
And with all of the technology in this car-WHY can't the codes just pop up on the maintenance screen of the monitor????
Doesnt it sound so simple? Its like Apple not putting cut and paste on the iphone- it can read your heartbeat and everything else, but no simple functions that a Palm device from the 90's can do :roll:

I bet they dont put them there so you HAVE to go to the dealer to see what it is. They don't want any chance of you actually fixing your own car. :?

#10 ·
johnmax said:
I bet they dont put them there so you HAVE to go to the dealer to see what it is. They don't want any chance of you actually fixing your own car. :?
And run the risk of them not making extra $$$ on your car... :lol:

#11 ·
Just had my camshaft position sensor changed @ 76k miles. I was on vacation at huntington beach and went to infiniti at Tustin. One thing that caught me by suprise was that they had the part in stock, and not my brake light switch. So i came to my own conclusion and thought to my self, if they stock this item then that means its a high failure rate part. Allot of dealers normally stock items that are part of wear and tear.
I knew right away when those lights came on, it had something in relation to timing. With a faulty sensor, sometimes the starter takes a couple of more rounds to start, which was happening to me. Luckily for me I purchased extended warranty 2 years ago. So all i had to pay was $100.00. I dont know how much the part is with labor.
Im pretty sure i can do this at home next time.

#12 ·
#14 ·
had this kind of problem , with all the lights, had the code after a diagnostic , turned out to be a falty sensor on the left bank (the engine would actualy stall at any speed, realy alot of fun), changed it at a local nissan and all is good.

#15 ·
My experience

My experience with this was as follows: 2003 FX 35, 160k miles. The same three lights came on at once, and at the same time the engine wouldn't start immediately as it usually does, instead it took 4-5 seconds to catch. Took it to the auto parts store where they found it was giving the P0340 code. That code can indicate many things, from Camshaft Position Sensor to ECM to Starter to Replace Engine. Seeing as the CPS was at the top of the list and the least expensive option, I decided to change that out. The aftermarket part was $81.99 with lifetime warrantee. Replacing the part was easy and straight forward. The right side sensor is on the back top of the engine, so you just have to take off the plastic shroud on top of the engine and you can access it. There's one 10mm bolt and an electrical connector. There are also lots of sharp little hose clamps in the area, so it's a good idea to cover them with something soft. Owing to the area where the sensor is, I had to climb on top of the engine to reach it. I couldn't get my right hand down there to get to the bolt, so I had to do it left handed. Also, it's too tight for a ratchet so a box end wrench is needed. Then, in order to un-clip the electrical connector, you have to slide the catch all the way towards the sensor and pull the pieces apart. I spent a lot of time trying to depress the clip to get it apart, finally found a youtube video showing that the connector slides. Then replacing the sensor is straight forward. My car now starts immediately, the VDC and SLIP lights are off, but the SERVICE ENGINE light is still on, just need to reset it. I hope there's no other issues that it's calling attention to, but the car is running just fine now.

Hope this helps anyone with these issues.

REM

#19 ·
If the ses light came on there should be a code stored. Hook it up to a scanner or get it scanned at a local parts store and see what codes come up. Could be a wide variety of things. Once you have the codes you can look them up at AutoCodes.com to see probable causes.

#20 ·
My 04 FX35 w/ 124,500 miles died this week while driving at about 50 MPH. Initially no warning lights, totally dead. Freaked me out because I've never had a vehicle just die. Glad I was not on the freeway! Got it restarted, but SES, Slip and VDS lights all on but drivable to work. Parked it at work for 6 hours, started and drove 12 miles home with only the SES light on. Stopped at Pep Boys to have code read: P0340, which is camshaft position sensor. Bought BWD (Borg Warner) sensors for both cylinder banks as well as the crankshaft position sensor figuring I would replace all three at once. Close to $200 for all three. Replacing all three sensors was easy, just a little challenging to get to the camshaft sensors. Thank goodness for the the Internet and You Tube! Took about 1.5 hrs to install the camshaft sensors and about one hour for the crankshaft sensor. I disconnected the negative cable from the battery and when i restarted the vehicle the SES light was out! Test drove it for 5-6 miles and all seems normal. Gratifying DIY!

#21 ·
Cam position sensor!!!, easy to change, from the dealer, about $155 !!!, NOT cheap chinese from e-bay, NO, NO, NO,.....you can change it in 15 min, other name is PHASE, don't change wrong sensors at the top of heads, they are similar, but they are different , usually don't go bad, also crank position sensor, under the engine, close to transmission, that usually never goes bad, I change that also though =) Same look, same price at the dealer !