Overheating - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Overheating

I have an FX35 with 128K well maintained miles, most at the dealer. About two months ago, car overheated; dealer changed the radiator.

Two weeks later, overheating occurred again; dealer then told me there was air in the system and all should be o.k.

Overheated again three weeks later, and dealer could not duplicate the problem.

Tomorrow going back to dealer since it almost overheated again yesterday.

As part of my investigation, I note that the coolant overflow tank gradually fills with coolant, without allowing coolant to return to radiator when car cools overnight. Eventually, the overheating occurs when the overflow tank fills; then coolant is expelled from overflow tank.

Overheating has occurred at various speeds; once when driving at steady 35 mph, once when driving at 50 mph, then again when decelerating from 65 down to 25 off a highway ramp. When overheating occurs, check engine line comes on and flow of fuel through gas pedal is barely possible (probably a computer safety device to prevent engine damage).

The day after the overheating occurs, FX runs fine until the next time.

Dealer has stated that they also have another FX with about 130K miles which overheats all the time, and they can not diagnose the problem.

Anyone have a suggestion as to what may be the cause? Dealer claims they already checked water pump, all pressures, etc. I found something on-line about the radiator cap gasket failing over time that might cause overheating, but they changed the radiator cap during the last visit.

Anyway back tomorrow for a loaner vehicle; this time I will instruct them to keep the vehicle until it is diagnosed and repaired, since the overheating occurs without warning.

Thanks,

TAXEFX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 AM

I'm no mechanic, but most of my overheating problems (in other, older cars) have been related to a thermostat, usually stuck closed.

Did the dealer look at that item?

2006 FX 35
Autumn Copper
Sport/Touring/Tech
Nissan Ipod Interface
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Agreed... the engine cooling system on all cars hav ethe same or similar components. When troubleshooting is easiest to start with the cheapest things first and the things you can change yourself. In order of troubleshooting:

coolent level and mixture (not just straight coolant)
radiator cap
thermostat
fans (does car overheat at idle, cool down at highway speed)
water pump

Your problem sounds like a thermostat. When it is running hot, does the large top hose from radiator to engine swell up?

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cube
I second the thermostat. I had an overheating problem on my ol' Lincoln Continental. Thermostat stuck shut, replaced, worked just fine after that.

Very hard to believe that they wouldn't think of this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

According to my original invoice, the thermostat was changed when the radiator was changed.

Vehicle left at dealer on Monday morning; informed them that I do not want it back until fixed. Have not yet heard a word from them yet; there is something in the cooling system that sends coolant to the overflow tank, and then fails to return coolant to radiator, i.e., no vacuum.

I find it almost impossible to understand that Infiniti can not ascertain a quick solution to this problem.

In any event, I have transportation in the form of the provided loaner car, so they can take as long as necessary.

Thanks for all the input so far.

TAXEFX
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnmax
Maybe the radiator cap? That usually keeps the system pressurized. You describe what sounds like no pressure in the system. Most people forget about changing the cap. A bad rubber ring in that could cause the problem you describe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 FX45 Tech/Premium Liquid Copper Brick/Black, Viper 791XV alarm/remote start/GPS tracking, Nav-TV, XM, nav while driving mod, custom no nag nav mod, backup cam while driving mod, Stillen STB, Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs, Falken Ziex STZ/04s, Nissan Ipod interface w/80gig video, ORG sticker
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:33 AM

I also had an overheating issue relating to the thermostat on an older car of mine. My mechanic took it out, added heat and found it wasn't activating until about 120 degrees over the norm.

03 FX45 Beryllium/Brick, Tech
Stillen Strut Bar, Drop-in K&N Filter
Coming Soon: Flowmaster Exhaust
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:15 PM

I have the same exact problem with my FX35 overheating as described in the June 10, 2007 comment .... have replaced the radiator and and then the thermodstat twice within a couple of months ... overheated over and over again without a warning. My dealer in central jersey has no clue at this point. I would like the northern jersey infiniti dealer to talk to my dealer ... to compare notes ... can you please let me know what town in northern jersey that you are dealing with. And if you already solved the problem ... that would be great ... I gave my dealer the keys and have a loaner for the past three days. So far ... nobody has a clue what to do next.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Overheating Still Continues - No Solution

JPFX35, I just replied separterly to you regarding your posting.

As an update to all, my FX35 is still overheating. It's going back to Lynnes Infiniti in Bloomfield, NJ for the fifth visit for same issue. At least they supply me with loaner vehicles each time, and appear to be genuinely interested in resolving the problem.

I have registered my issue with Infiniti Consumer Affairs at 1-800-662-6200 to see if they can assist further.

Last visit, Lynnes had my vehicle for three weeks but claimed they were unable to duplicate overheating. However, the coolant still does not return to radiator from coolant recovery tank when engine cools.

Will keep all posted.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 09:56 PM

This happened to a POS Mitsubishi Galant I had when I was in high school and it turned out to be a bad water pump.

06' FX35 RWD, Black Obsidian, Graphite Leather / Aluminum - turned in
09' FX35 RWD, Black Obsidian, Graphite Leather / Black Lacquer, Premium,Navi,Tech,Rear Entertainment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, FX45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page