CAMSHAFT POSTITION SENSOR - Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, F45 and FX50 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CAMSHAFT POSTITION SENSOR

After pampering and upgrading my fx for the last couple of weeks. The fx decides to start sputtering on me while on the way to getting new tires.

At first, it seemed like the sparkplugs were mis-firing, but then the fx would continue on the road. and then suddenly shut itself off. i would soon have to pull over to the side to put her back in park. and then restart. after getting the new tires installed. while on the way over to buddies shop for an oil change, the same thing happpened again and i noticed the vehicle displayed "VDC OFF", "SLIP", and "SERVICE ENGINE SOON". While at the shop my buddy ran the computer diagnostic which came up with a code that read - Camshaft position Sensor-

I got a quote from the dealership - $71.23
i was happy to get the part # from the SA - 237316J906

i just checked everythinginfiniti.com - $53.20

Would anybody happen to know how to replace this thing. ohh...
labor itself is $217.00 at the dealership.

any advice would be helpful and appriciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:12 AM

You sure it ain't a belt, after upgrading?

04 RWD-BS/Grph '35-Touring-railless-shaved-Ztek yback exhaust (PM me B4 buying Z-tek) Crawford plenum-ztube/sincity mod-JWT popper-lower billet grille-Stillen STB-20s w/Yoko ENVigors (3/11).
FINALLY on car: H&R Springs. Now on!!.. 20mm Ichiba spacers!
#3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:16 AM

Did you try resetting the ecm? What did you do to the car?
#4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:18 AM

which belts?

the only upgrades i've been doing are visual upgrades. i did run a computer diagnotics test.

i just got all new belts a few months ago. thx
#5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:25 AM

i installed hyper whites for the interior lights, replaced the daytime running lights (7443), a wax, i began on a project for the ikey, but never fininshed.

thats it.

the ecm? is the unit you reset after you run the diagnotics. if so yes, "service engine soon" went away and then the sputtering came back and of course so did the "service engine soon" light.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:33 AM

Do you have the code? (pXXXX)
#7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 AM

(pXXXX) is for the ecm right? how do i get to that menu?

i take it you don't think that the camshaft pos. sensor.

let me tell the whole story of when this "service engine soon" light came on. I was just pulling up to a coffee shop, but i had to park the fx in an awkward place. i was driving paralel to the curb, on that curb was the city's water drainage sytem- that's what i scraped my tires up against. then, my tire sensor pressure was ringing. i knew exactly what happened, so i sat in front of starbucks having coffee and putting on my spare. once i drove off immediately something didn't feel right. besides having the spare on, it was also sputtering then too, and of course the instrument cluster were lit up:SLIP, VDC OFF, Service Engine.

I most certainly suspect the electronics have been buggin' out since. so your remedy is to reset the ecm.

your probably gonna have to write... Wait! the Search tool.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Re: CAMSHAFT POSTITION SENSOR

Have an 04 'FX35 - last week went in to get oil change and new tires. The next day I got the "VDC OFF", "SLIP" and "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" lights on. I don't know if the two events are related (but, was interesting that you experienced this after having a tire issue).

I think it has something to do with the camshaft sensor as that was what the dealer indicated. They also indicated that it might be a sprocket that is stuck. But their recommendation was for out right replacing the camshafts. Overall, the car seems to be running fine. Just curious what ended up resolving the problem?
#9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

You know this thread is about 2 yrs old right? Someone else recently had the camshaft position sensor problem and had it fixed... it was doing the same thing as the OP's FX... driving along at any speed and then the engine would just cut out... turn off the engine, turn it on and it would start again (sensor would reset but was probably still glitchy) but the engine would randomly shut off... after he replaced the sensor, everything was fine...

2007 FX35 AWD Touring - GARMIN GVN-53 NAV mod, NAV-TV iPod music and video, PARROT MK6100, VIPER 5901, Strong Strut STB, MD 5/16" Copper Iso Thermal, LMS intake, MEGAN Coilovers, STOPTECH SS Lines, 20" AVARUS AV1 w/ BFG KDW/2's, 6K HIDs and 5K Fogs, LED lighting everywhere, Sport Pedals with ebrake, Escutcheon...
#10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 PM

For anyone using the search function and finding this thread. Always get the codes read and given to you whether it be from the dealership or from a local parts store (they will often read your OBD codes from your computer free of charge). Once you have the codes you can diagnose or get help diagnosing the problem. You will find code information at OBD-Codes.com or, if you are a member, at Infinitihelp.com.

http://www.obd-codes.com/

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/obd_cod ... hart_2.htm

05 FX35, Silverstone, Graphite, Touring, Escutcheon, Sport Pedals, LED Dtrl's(thanks rookie), Stillen STB, +2 Timing, Stillen CAI, LMS Z-Tube, Grrrowwl!!, Plenum is next (OK - well - actually the G35 E-brake pedal is next, but I swear, something is going to happen with that plenum).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti FX Forum : FX35, F45 and FX50 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page